presidential candidates

"I have to admit, this Republican race is nuthin' if not entertaining, as the anybody-but-that-Mormon crowd runs from one candidate to the next every 6 weeks. Followed by the Romney SuperPAC spending another $10 million plus on new attack ads in a sort of ongoing public game of whack-a-mole. "

This is about the best summary of the Republican Primary race I've seen. Obama has already come out and complimented Romney on health care, basically saying his program in Mass. was the template for Obamacare.

SA

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm constantly amazed at the liberals who find the 2012 Republican race so amusing. They seem to have short memories. It was just 4 short years ago that we had a Democratic field with 10, count them, 10 candidates with Obama, Biden, Clinton, Dodd, Edwards, Gravel, Kucinich, Richardson, Bayh and Vilsack. There was a good amount of sniping and back stabbing and at the end of the day, look what the process produced, Obama. Folks shouldn't be so quick to laugh at others for their fly being unzipped when they have their own pants around their ankles.

Beavah opines: Governor Romney is a fellow who will say whatever he thinks the person he's with at the time wants to hear, or the group he needs to please wants to hear. I figure the only thing that gives yeh a real sense of the man is when he commits his occasional slips while fielding a question he wasn't prepared for.

And, Ron Paul aside, that is not true of what politician in presidential politics?

SR540 Beaver: Liberals do not necessarily have short memories. They have selective memories, which is necessary to believe what they believe.

Liberals do not necessarily have short memories. They have selective memories, which is necessary to believe what they believe.

That's probably not a fair assessment. I think it's more accurate to say they have to have a certain level of arrogance to believe government knows better than the layman how the layman should live his own life.

Don't let me stop you from casting aspersions or anything, but I would like to point out that the "front runners" in the 2008 Democratic primary had a heck of a lot more of a serious chance of winning, than most of the flavor of the month so-called Republican candidates have had. (OK we'll leave Gravel out of that group, thanks. He came to speak on my campus and answered one earnest student's question about his view on women's rights by making a lewd gesture and guffawing about how he liiiiiikes women. Uh. Yeah. At least he was memorable.)

Meanwhile, I've got blueberry pie in the oven over here...will shamelessly trade pie for pack's promise of a vote.

I'm constantly amazed at the liberals who find the 2012 Republican race so amusing

A might sensitive aren't we? I reckon the ability to laugh at ourselves is a sign of higher intelligence and good grace.

Nobody said conservatives have to be dry, humorless prudes. Maybe that's a modern conservative / Dick Cheney / religious right thing. Sort of like no dancing. :)

I will admit that liberals viewpoints are funnier, though! ;)

B

Seriously, it would be cool if the Sec of Interior were a Scouter. I'm working on my own Herman Cain-esque memoir now, ending, of course, with me sitting at the desk in the Oval Office. When I'm president, Calico, I'll call you!

Meantime, taking bids for other cabinet-level positions. Thinking a Scouter could be a good Sec of State (helpful, friendly, courteous, kind all seem like they might be good traits for a diplomat)...maybe a qualification will include having earned or counseled the Cit in World badge...would certainly provide a bit more background knowledge than some recent candidates appear to have of the world!

Sec of Energy should be a scouter too - know something about conservation and LNT.

@Lisa, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There were many folks in 2008 who held the Democrat candidates in the same low esteem as many now hold the Republican candidates.

@Beavah, sensitive? No. I'm neither a Republican or Democrat, so I can call a spade a spade on the hypocrisy of both sides when it comes to criticizing the opposition. No one has the market cornered.

"I think it's more accurate to say they have to have a certain level of arrogance to believe government knows better than the layman how the layman should live his own life."

That seems to go both ways; both sides of the spectrum have issues they want to restrict individual choice in.

Tampa - Newt actually made an astute assertion a number of months ago when he stated that Right-wing social engineering is no better than Left-wing social engineering. His mistake was denouncing that assertion and walking away from it.

Crimes against liberty are still crimes against liberty whichever side of the aisle they come from.

So, Beaver, you want to compare Sarah Palin and Herman Cain and Rick Perry to Richardson, Bayh, and Vilsack?? party affiliations aside, Richardson, Bayh, and Vilsack are serious people with serious ideas (though I don't care much for a couple of them). They lacked enough money or organization to launch a stronger bid and we could argue about whether they needed more experience, but they weren't total goofballs.

Obama, of course, ended up as President and Biden as Veep. So they must have had something serious going for them. And while I preferred Obama, I do think H. Clinton would have been a strong candidate had she gotten the nomination. Polarizing, perhaps, (thanks, Bill) but not a total joke.

Granted, Kucinich is kind of our equivalent of your Ron Paul. Both are on the fringes of their own party. Neither of them have a real chance at being President (and that's fine with me on both counts), but I do admire their consistency over the years. And I'll give you Gravel, he was definitely marching to his own drum.

PS: one great thing about Gravel in the last cycle was that he provided excellent examples to engage students in a conversation about social media and campaigning. What he did was so totally wacky and different, in comparison to any of the other candidates' online presences. This time around, everything is so much more slick and produced - aw shucks, I kind of miss Gravel's ripple in the pond.