presidential candidates

A friend and I were recently discussing the several candidates experience in Scouting (Perry is an Eagle) and he forwarded to me this quote directly from Gov. Romney's website: Romney ... added that he personally believed "all people should be allowed to participate in the Boy Scouts regardless of their sexual orientation." http://whyromney.com/#boyscouts

I find that fascinating.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's put it back in context with the whole quote:

"In fact, Romney actually said, "I support the right of the Boy Scouts of America to decide what it wants to do on that issue," but added that he personally believed "all people should be allowed to participate in the Boy Scouts regardless of their sexual orientation."

All males under the age of 18 can participate in Boy Scouts. Gay adults just can't be leaders.

I've got to say that this is probably one of those rare instances where putting the quote back into context doesn't actually change the meaning of the quote.

Romney is quoted as saying he personally believes all people should be allowed to participate in the Boy Scouts regardless of their sexual orientation.

He also says he supports the right of the BSA to decide for itslef on the issue, but that doesn't modify his personal belief that all people should be allowed to participate in any way.

And I find nothing in Romney's quote to suggest that "all" refers to "only those under 18". But then again, I tend to be a stickler when it comes to the term "all". I believe that actually means "All" and not "All minus some" (or even "All minus 1").

Big picture, I suspect the statement will lose him a total of about Zero Votes - my hunch is those that would disagree with him on this wouldn't be voting for him anyway.

I wouldn't trust any quote from Romney. Over the years you can find quotes of his support for gay rights, a woman's right to choose, structured bailouts of auto companies and recent statements that are just the opposite. This man will say anything to anybody at any time to get a current vote.

He's also been quoted recently in support of raising the minimum wage with inflation. A long time goal of liberal labor groups.

What I find more interesting, is that in their desire to beat Obama, Republicans will nominate the candidate most like him from a political standpoint. Apparently "conservative" values don't mean much as long as a guy with an ® behind his name is in the white house. About the only difference you will find between Obama and the way Romney has governed is that when Romney signed executive legislation as Governor he was white and Obama is Black.

SA

Not to parse words, but "participate in" doesn't necessarily mean "be a member of" or "be a registered leader". It could mean "attend a pack meeting with your child" or "send in an FOS donation". That being said, I personally disagree with the BSA's policy, but I defend their right as a private organization to have that policy.

And we think that someone who is barred from being a member would send in an FOS donation...why?

Well I don't want to get too side-tracked here. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Romney did, indeed, choose the word "participate" so as to try to have his cake (he's inclusive!) and eat it, too (he won't let "them" join!). But I'd be saddened by such pandering, if that is what he was doing.

As for me, and in case I ever run for president: I believe sexual orientation should have nothing to do with membership requirements in the BSA.

Dang,

I lost out on Pack's vote and never had a chance to make my promise of an Apple/Peach Caramel Cobbler in every dutch oven!

Guess I'll have to hold out hope for a Cabinet position - Secretary of the Interior would be good.(This message has been edited by CalicoPenn)

And we think that someone who is barred from being a member would send in an FOS donation...why?

Well, shucks. I was barred from being a member of the GSUSA as a youth, and they pretty much make it clear that they're not interested in havin' male leaders, but I still end up buying Girl Scout cookies.

I've given to lots of causes that wouldn't accept me as a member or that I wouldn't be qualified to participate in, from the Junior League to Doctors without Borders.

Can't for the life of me imagining folks being so selfish as to only give to causes that would in some way benefit themselves, or only to causes that agreed with 'em 100%.

Anyway, back to topic. As close as I can tell, Governor Romney is a fellow who will say whatever he thinks the person he's with at the time wants to hear, or the group he needs to please wants to hear. I figure the only thing that gives yeh a real sense of the man is when he commits his occasional slips while fielding a question he wasn't prepared for.

Beavah

Yah, Ron Paul winning Maine would be a hoot.

I have to admit, this Republican race is nuthin' if not entertaining, as the anybody-but-that-Mormon crowd runs from one candidate to the next every 6 weeks. Followed by the Romney SuperPAC spending another $10 million plus on new attack ads in a sort of ongoing public game of whack-a-mole.

About the only thing that could up the entertainment value is to have President Obama come out and say that he has a lot of respect for Governor Romney, who he embraces as a fellow moderate. Wouldn't that be a stitch?

Beavah