Need an Opinion, Not Scouting Related

OK, this is not scouting related, but I need some opinions from trustworthy people.

I was talking to a group of people about the Cruise ship that ran aground the captains subsequent actions. Someone wondered aloud where they found this guy and I said, "He must have graduated from the "Capt Joe Hazelwood School of Mariner Science", dead silence, no one did anythinf but look at me like I had grown a third eye. These were not kids you understand. So, how many of you think my comment was funny without having to look up anything? Just wondering...

Did I get it? yeah. Uh, funny? not sure, maybe (sorry there OGE). I'm kind of surprised that others didn't seem to make the connection, but then, did you check to see if they can name the current vice president, tell you in general who attacked us on 9/11, or correctly identify the current number of states in the US? It is surprising, how little many adults pay attention to global or even national events. Or maybe you were in a group of dislocated ex-Alaskan fishermen?

I would have chuckled probably.

Sitting and watching the news during lunch earlier in the week.....I thought a couple of my coworkers were going to have heart attacks when the newscaster said that the captain tripped and fell into the life boat and could not get back on the ship.

I think it's all about timing. In a couple of weeks, when David Letterman tells that same joke, everyone will be cracking up. But this week, when they're still searching the wreck for missing people, it might just be a case of "too soon". (I would have said Jon Stewart but I have a feeling that he might be one of the few comedians where "too soon" doesn't apply).

Of course, that assumes people knew the reference in the first place (I got it - I think it's chuckle-worthy).

Yah, OGE, we're showin' our age, eh? I got it right away.

Boy, there are a few good Scoutmaster minutes in the wreck of the cruise ship, from the actions of the captain to the actions of most of the passengers, to the actions of a few of the passengers and the crew that stood their stations and did their duty.

Beavah

In a course on environment and energy which lots of students take as an elective, and claim interest in the topic, more than half of them this morning had no idea what 'Deepwater Horizon' referred to. In this time of economic, political, and social crisis, the vast majority don't plan to vote, either in a primary or in the main election.

Pack what is the age of the students????? I am guessing college level????

You have got to be kidding me about not knowing what the deep water horizon was about or what happened.

This group coming up is much less aware of the world around them......Whether it is they don't care or believe they can change anything. Givem facebook and a smartphone they are all good.

I got it, but probably because 'Hazelwood' is an unusual name to me easily remembered. I don't know any other Hazelwoods.

'Deep Water Horizon' sounds like a trade name for a vanishing horizon pool feature.

"You have got to be kidding me about not knowing what the deep water horizon was about or what happened."

No I'm sure he is not kidding. I teach political science at the college level and while some of my students would be able to ID this, I'm sure that many more would not.

If I said "do you remember the oil spill in the Gulf?" I'd get a higher affirmative response rate. But honest-to-goodness, I had a student ask me recently whether that had something to do with this whole Katrina thing, and who was Katrina, anyway?

I got it, and I thought it was funny!

I have made references to my son that got me that same unblinking stare:

" Jumping the shark "

" Here's a quarter - call somebody that cares "

" Where's the beef" ( at dinner during resident camp)