December 29, 1963 A Watershed moment

Time passes so slowly when we are young, long hot summers and even longer interminable bitterly cold winters (read Chicago) and we grow into the people we are today. Sports has always been a favorite of mine and today is the 48th anniversary of when I became an official Chicago Bears fan. I loved football, mostly because when I was growing up the longest my father would sit still was when football was on TV, especially the Bears. It was December 29, 1963. The Bears had had a good season finished first in their division and as far as I knew, the season was over (Playoffs? Don't talk to me about playoffs. playoffs are you kidding me?) I was 10 years old. My father had to work that Sunday and it was a long cold dark day. He comes home from work and wants to know why I am not listening to the Bears game on the radio. (Back then, home games were blacked out in the local media market, even NFL Championship games). I said oh Dad, the Bears aren't playing today, the season is over. No, he says, they are playing right now against the hated New York Giants, its the NFL Championship game. I was 10 and didnt know from playoffs, championship games, none of that stuff. I figured Dad was teasing me and I wouldnt let him win. For 20 minutes he kept telling me I was missing the Bears in the Championship game and I wouldnt beleive him. Finally I said, OK, I will turn on the radio if that will make you happy. I turned on WGN, the Bears radio station at the time and heard Jack Brickhouse (I think) say. "And thats the story from Beautiful Wrigley Field, Chicago Bears 14 the New York Giants 10" and then commercials. I had missed it, missed it all. I solemnly swore with all the fervor a 10 year old boy can muster to my father that I would never, ever miss another Chicago Bear Championship game. Of course, at the time, on December 29, 1963, I didnt realize the Bears would not be in another Championship game until January 26, 1986, the 20th Superbowl and I would be holding my 6 month old son for most of it. So, in 48 years I have not missed another Bears Championship game as I also suffrerd through the game on February 4, 2007. The way things are going, I don't see myself putting my streak on the line anytime soon but as this years NFL regular season fades away, I can't help but murmur to myself

Bear Down Chicago Bears

Make Every Play

Clear the Way to Victory

Bear Down Chicago Bears...

What can I say, I am a fan...(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Tampa. I am behind you, my dad had just graduated from High school in June and my mom was in the 7th grade. . .guess I'm just a youngin' BUT i doo remember the January 26th 1986 game from a differnt viewpoint. I was the one crying as the Bears decimated my beloved Partiots. I still remember the Fridge's touchdown (run??) ;)

Just to be clear, the full and proper name of the Bear's opponent that day are the New York Football Giants. Willie Mays never played for them, althought I suspect he would have been an excellent wide reciever. YA Tittle to Willie Mays? :)

SA

(This message has been edited by Scoutingagain)

Grew up a Dolphins fan and got to enjoy the back to back Superbowls and perfect seasons. In those days most players were part-timers and had off-season jobs. You saw them around town especially in Broward. Met Yepremian, Morrall, Jim Kiick, Larry Csonka, Bob Kuechenberg, Nick Buonticonti, Mercury Morris, etc over the years. Griese not so much I think he lived in Dade. Got in a fight with the Shula boys. They were middle-class guys getting paid to play football not so many prima-donnas. Still remember singing the Dolphins fight song and seeing Yepremians "pass" and thinking "oh no we are going to blow it!". People forget Dolphins won ugly a lot.

Moved to Tampa in '83 and became a Bucs fan almost every game is an exercise in humiliation. Will say this Tony Dungy is the real deal...just a real nice family man and christian. When he was our coach you could be real proud of the players...even got Sapp to behave for a while.

Of course Bob Kuechenberg was Rudy Kuechenberg's brother, Rudy played linebacker for the Bears. I always thought Yaro Yepremian was the original "I keek Touchdown" foreign born Place kicker. For a Cypriot tie painter, he did not do too badly, except for that pass of course

When I lived in Evansville Indiana, Hometown of Bob Griese I lived in an aprtment complex he owned. His brother ran the place and looked just like him

What a small world!

Bob Kuechenberg was the Godfather of a good friend of mine (David Z the crazy Polish guy) and went to my church so I saw him a good deal. He lived about 5 blocks from me.

Yepremian was always a popular local. I think he sold shoes in the off season.

I had a Griese autographed football. He always struck me as uneasy with the fame. Shame about his wife.

My friend Dave coerced me to go stag to the Polish-American Club dance with him. Some famous Polka bands were playing. I was 17 and we were the only males under 60 in the place. I was a very popular dance partner with the older ladies.

Food was good. They were in a good mood as Playboy had a Polish-American Playmate that month. Was a little awkward being shown a centerfold by a little old lady.

I was Irish/Portuguese so it was a different cultural experience. I was Catholic so I was good enough.

OGE-

I was 13 years old in 1963 and remember listening to the Championship game on my little portable transistor radio because the home games, even NFL Championship games, were not televised in those days. But I can, to this day, remember the starting lineup for the Bears that day and most of the details from that game. Same for 1985's Super Bowl team. Quite a difference from the Bears of today, I'm afraid!

Dale

As for myself I relish the days of yesteryear when the Lions played in the Superbowl. Oh wait a minute, I can't seem to recall the date.

Hail the colors Blue and Silver let them wave.

Sing their song and cheer the Gridiron Heroes brave,

Fighting for fame, winning the game,

Dashing to victory as they go.

Forward down the field,

A charging team that will not yield.

And when the Blue and Silver wave,

Stand and cheer the brave.

Rah, Rah, Rah.

Go hard, win the game.

With honor you will keep your fame.

Down the field and gain,

A Lion victory!

GO LIONS!

Miami has the Dolphins, the greatest football team.

We take the ball from goal to goal like no one's ever seen.

We're in the air; we're on the ground; we're always in control,

And when you say Miami, you're talking Super Bowl;

'Cause we're the Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins,

Miami Dolphins, number one!

Yes, we're the Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins,

Miami Dolphins, number one!

H'mmm, I was finishing up work on my Eagle rank. Everything else is a bit foggy. Probably thinking about girls or something. But on the 29th...I was probably out hunting on that day, no, it was a Sunday. I was probably out on a hike in the woods somewhere, hoping school would never start again.