Fox News makes people dumber?

Yah, just couldn't resist stirring the pot with this one. :)

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-11-22/news/30431182_1_fox-news-results-show-viewers

Some shots at MSNBC in there, too. Wish they had taken a step back and just tested whether watchin' TV at all makes yeh dumber :). John Stewart seems to come out OK, provin' that fake news is better than a lot of da real news shows out there.

Beavah

Well, I have to rise that trolled bait.;)

I actually use one or two Stewart clips in my courses from time to time. The one I'm thinking of right now is factually correct, humorous, and cuts to the bone.

I think the survey mostly shows that you don't learn much from watching television, at least not the two media sources you noted. Stewart's better performance could also mean that critical satire can stimulate thought better than bile. I'd like to read the actual report though.

As far as FOX and MSNBC go, it could mean that people who want to have their pre-existing thoughts reinforced will trend towards media sources that reinforce them.

I frankly don't believe the results of that "study." In the first place, they studied 612 people all in one state?

There is an incredible amount of bias against Fox in other media and certainly in the higher education ranks.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

After reading the few questions mentioned in the study, I guess I have to put myself in the less-informed group.

'Occupy Wall Street' is associated with Democrats? Maybe at first; but after OWS started pooping on police-cars, passing around SDTs, and getting shut down even in LA and SF everybody started to distance themselves from OWS.

Mittens Romney is the GOP frontrunner? Which week?

But if former Gov and Senator John (I don't know where the $1B went.) Corzine is representative of NJ intelligence, someone needs to flush the gene pool.

(Edited to apologize to The Garden State.)

(This message has been edited by JoeBob)