Hunting on Sundays

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

johnponz- It appears we could be neighbors. The local attorney you mentioned was a convicted felon before he was a hunter, and should not have been in posession of a firearm. To say hunting animals turned him into a killer is, at very least, a stretch. He was "hunting" from an ATV(illegal), with a .30-06(illegal for the area), and allegedly shot at movement(irresponsible), and his uncle, a former DA, helped cover his tracks. In short, the guy was a scum bag.

Yep. So the stupid students decide to raft the Chattooga. They have a cheap vinyl pool float with two couples. Hot August day. Start late in the afternoon, late, for a trip that will likely take 8 hours. They're in the middle of no place when the sun finally dips low enough for them to realize they're going to spend the night. No matches, no food, some beer, wearing nothing but shorts and bathing suits and soaking wet. It's dark enough they can't see the river to continue safely but up on the hill there's a light. It's a campfire. They two guys tell the two women to stay with the raft while they hike up there to see if there's a road out of there. They stumble on a bunch of GA good-ol-boys sitting around the fire sipping 'shine.

Or....there's the time that the stupid college students decide to take a canoe trip on Lake Jocassee. Never camped out of canoe before. Never been on that lake before. No idea of how far things are. Two couples go out, camp, lose the canoes as they drift away in the middle of the night, sure enough the one who's allergic gets stung, they're in trouble...and while hiking their way up the hill to find a road out...you guessed it. This time it's NC good-ol-boys out huntin' 'coons.

Or...

Or...

It just never stops. That movie is way too close for comfort.

Thankfully, at least all my students lived to tell the tale, otherwise I'd never have heard.

"am using it it only to show that at least SOME hunters are violent."

Russel Henderson killed a man by beating the heck out of him and leaving him strung up on a fence in Wyoming overnight to die. I'm only using it to show that at least SOME Eagle Scouts are violent.

Yes, some hunters are violent. So are some Boy Scouts. So are some Veterans. So are some Politicians. So are some Lawyers. So are some Doctors. So are some Mothers. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some Buddhists are violent.

I think you get the point - in every profession, hobby, religion, or whatever other way of categorizing humans there are, "SOME" people will be violent. Since not matter what category you choose, some people will be violent, it deflates the use of the argument for every category. So who cares if some hunters are violent - it doesn't add anything to the argument.

Won't hunt anymore because of the few crazies who ruin it. My dad and I were out hunting deer years ago, and I was always taught to wait until you had a CLEAR shot on an animal. By clear, meaning see the entire animal, not just a head.

From about 150 yards, saw brown, white and antlers.

I was lined up and waiting and then heard a "dont shoot". Turns out another hunter was had dressed up his wife with a brown jacket, white scarf and a set of antlers. No orange. Was supposedly trying to be a decoy for deer. Go figure.

That was the end of that...

What about markers for all of those insects who've gone splat against the various automobile and truck windshields?

As for myself, I find it distasteful to see the roadside markers where humans have been killed.

As for myself, I find it distasteful to see the roadside markers where humans have been killed.

Yah, I gotta agree with acco on that.

On da other hand, markers for dead cows I would just find hysterical. Might brighten up a long drive!

Now, for those of yeh who have a passel of 11-year-olds in your car on a regular basis, I might warn yeh against introducin' 'em to the little ditty "Cows with Guns". Guaranteed to shorten a long trip, but what might happen is that every time they see a cow (or a dead cow marker ;)), they might burst into song.

Beavah