Website advertising

Every time I log onto this site, the first ad that shows up on the right hand banner is from "Bad Idea" T-shirts. The model in it is...well if you get the same ad you know what I mean.

It's just funny that this ad shows up on this site. Unless this is the demographic being targeted?

I get that ad, and then an LL Bean ad, and then a Campmor ad. The ads are provided by google based on key words. We did a thread on llamas on purpose once and eventually we got ads related to llamas.

For some reason, that t-shirt company pays to have their ads show up with the topics on the site. There are a few reasonable t-shirts in there that I could wear on a Scouting trip:

- I (heart) bacon

- I'd be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics

- (Rock) (Paper) (Scissors) Can't we all just get along?

- The police never think that it's as funny as you do.

- I like pie

Hmmmm.

It looks like the ads we each get are targetted to each individual based on the cookies left on our computers by other websites.

83Eagle: Where you been surfing? I wanna go there, too.

I have seen the ad you are talking about, a number of times. I have thought, a couple of times, about posting about whether it is really appropriate for a Scouting site, but I know that the site owner doesn't choose the ads, and quite honestly I was not sure how to describe the ad. 83Eagle basically "copped out," as we used to say, by saying, "you know what I mean." Yes, I think anyone who has seen the ad knows what you mean. :)

So am I the only one seeing ads for " Top quality alien repelling tin foil hats" ? :)

I've seen ads for swimwear, camping equipment, t shirts, cooking supplies, shoes, singles sites firepit/ firestarters, and canoeing expeditions.

I have no idea why te singles site popped up if it is indeed based on my previous searches. Everything else I can say has been typed in in one shape, form or another or been a related tag in a search engine

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to go and lok at the Bad Idea t shirts website.

Okay, they have a section for "offensive" shirts, but that is also a matter of perspective. Anybody remember All in the family? Glorified bigotry and racism or making fun of the racist himself? Depended on your own mindset.

Blazing saddles was blazzingly hilarious and you could nevr make that movie today and get away with it due to the racism, steriotyping and bigotry.

But the movie was making fun of, not promoting it. It saw the stupidity and therefore the humort in and of laughing at the haters stupidity.

But I also saw some cool shirts too. Matter of fact, I ordered one that simply said "JENIOUS" on the front.

I liked the one that promoted "Kirk/Spock 2012" and the one where you had to find the value of "X" in the circumfrence of a triangle. "I found it! -------> "X" :

So it's just another company providing a service that we are completely free to choose not to use. But by advertising here, the site stays free to us.

It's like a tv show: You don't like it, change the channel!

Ads, ads, I don't see no stinkin' ads! I browse this site using Firefox and Ad Blocker Plus so I was blissfully unaware of the "bad ideas" until this thread appeared. I don't think I would be too pleased if my scouts wore some of those shirts. Then again it would give us an opportunity to discuss choices.