The Republican Field

I don't know a whole lot about Perry, but he does have one advantage - he is a governor and not a representative or senator. And governors beat reps and senators in presidential elections.

As for the Republican VP - it will be Rubio.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubio's not even a natural-born citizen.

He, like Obama, is a domestic-born citizen, but not a natural-born citizen as was common law as per Law of Nations at the time of our Constitution's drafting.

Now we can argue about Law of Nations being used for the definition of the term, but if it's good enough to define American maritime law, why wouldn't it be the primary source for questions like citizenship?

There are multiple instruments that can define natural born based on conditions at the time of the drafting. The US Code is an example of this relative to territories.

Btw, BS 87... I understand and respect your view, but I just don't agree with it. While I do think we have our faults as a people, I think our good points outweigh the bad.

I can clearly remember the paper tiger reputation the country had in the late 70's and dont want to go back to those days.

I recognize that we're ultimately trying to do good in the world. What we don't realize as much are the unintended consequences of our do-gooding.

Until we're all willing to admit that our mere presence around the world causes some folks to misinterpret our intentions. This creates resentment, and ultimately radicalism.

I'm not saying that terrorist attacks against America is "America's chickens coming home to roost".

What I'm saying is that we shouldn't be surprised that our worldly presence and bombings causes resentment and helps fuel extremism because they don't recognize our good intentions. Their evil acts deserve swift punishment, but we should also learn from their point of view which incited them to violence. How helpless must you feel in changing the world that becoming the human equivalent of a firecracker sounds like the most purpose your life could ever amount to?

I'm becoming longwinded again, but humans appreciate governance and influence. The more centralized (like when one world power controls the majority of world opinion) the influence and opinions seem to be, the more helpless and radicalized the individual becomes. The more decentralized to states, regions, cities, communities, and households that power of opinion becomes, the more empowered and happy the individual becomes. This is because all men are desperately hungry for Liberty.

My picks and in this order:

Ron Paul

Gary Johnson

Herman Cain in a distant third

The rest of the social conservative and establishment field can go pound sand.

I'm with libertarian talk radio host Neal Boortz on this, if we nominate a social conservative over a fiscal conservative, we will hand the Presidency to Obama for another 4 years......and we can't affford that. The economic survival of this nation is at stake and it takes precedence over all else. If/when we get our fiscal house in order and put people back to work, then we can have our spats over marriage amendments and such.

In the last few days there have been several news articles & opinion pieces discussing Perry and Scouting, most touching on his "On My Honor" book...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/rick-perry-is-no-libertarian/2011/08/30/gIQA6IsbqJ_story.html

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/2011/08/2012-campaign-a-uniquely-anti-gay-gop-field.html

And an alleged feud between Perry & Romney regarding Boy Scouts...

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2011/08/30/romney_perry_feud_dates_back_to_2002_olympic_games/

BS-87, I am probably going to regret asking this, but how is Marco Rubio not a natural-born citizen? His article on Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge both correct and incorrect, but this is probably correct) says he was born in Miami, Florida in 1971. The last time I checked, Florida was a state, and although my memory isn't always perfect, I am pretty sure it became one long before 1971. Doesn't that do it?

Not that I would vote for him anyway. In all likelihood I will be voting for that other guy who you say is not a natural born citizen, but I am not going to ask you about him. I think its been pretty much resolved.

Well I'm assuming the entire Republican field will produce a birth certificate at some point. If not how do you know their really a citizen. Just because they say so? Have pictures of their childhood? Birth announcements? We know now none of that really counts.

SA

NJCubScouter - It was intended to be a joke...

By the strictest definition in the Law of Nations at the time of the drafting, it was understood that to be a natural-born citizen you must be born of two citizens of the nation you're born in. Rubio's parents were Cuban-nationals in exile.

Ok BS-87, just remember, on the Internet nobody can see you smile. That's what they invented those little smiley things for.

I'm not even going to discuss the strict definition of "natural born citizen" under the Law of Nations as of 1787. It's not an area (and definitely not an era) of the law that I have had occasion to study, and in any event I don't think it's relevant to today.

Yah, just as well NJCubScouter, because BS-87's interpretation of the "Law of Nations" is naught but revisionist garbage.

Seriously, mate, yeh gotta stop buyin' into one echo chamber's message whole-hog. It just makes yeh look daft.

Now someone please tell me who da blazes Gary Johnson is! I haven't even heard that name yet!

Beavah

Gary Johnson's a pretty neat guy. He's the past New Mexico governor. He's quite libertarian. Earned the nickname "Governor NO" (kind of like Ron Paul earned Dr. No)

He should really be running for NM senator...

Beavah,

You haven't been doing your due diligence if you don't know who Gary Johnson is. He is one of those rare ducks like Ron Paul who walks the walk and scares the bejesus out of both sides and the media. Like Paul, the media ignores him unless you watch the libertarian leaning shows like Freedom Watch with Judge Napalitano, John Stossel or Neal Cavuto on Fox Business. He keeps qualifying for the Republican debates over other mainstream candidates, but keeps getting denied because he isn't a "top tier" candidate.

From wikipedia: Gary Earl Johnson (born January 1, 1953) is an American businessman, former Governor of New Mexico, and candidate for the Republican nomination for President of the United States in the 2012 election.[2][3] He served as the 29th Governor of New Mexico from 1995 to 2003, and is known for his low-tax libertarian views and his regular participation in triathlons.

Founder of one of New Mexico's largest construction companies,[4] Johnson entered politics for the first time by running for Governor of New Mexico in 1994 on a conservative, low-tax, anti-crime platform.[5] He beat incumbent Democratic governor Bruce King by 50% to 40%. He cut the 10% annual growth in the budget by using his gubernatorial veto on half of bills in the first six months.[4] His use of the veto over his two terms gained him the nickname "Governor Veto".[6][7]

He sought re-election in 1998, winning by 55% to 45%. In his second term, he concentrated on the issue of school voucher reforms,[8] as well as campaigning for marijuana decriminalization. During his tenure as governor, he adhered strictly to an anti-tax, anti-bureaucracy program, and set state and national records for his use of veto powers:[4] more than the other 49 contemporary governors put together.[9][10] Term-limited, Johnson retired from politics at the end of his second term.

A fitness enthusiast,[11][12] Johnson has taken part in several Ironman Triathlons, and he climbed Mount Everest in May 2003.[13] He announced his candidacy for President of the United States in the 2012 election on April 21, 2011.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Johnson

http://ouramericainitiative.com/about-gary-johnson

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/record

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/issues(This message has been edited by sr540beaver)