Writing skills failing?

I think Lisabob posted an excellent explanation but I'll add my two cents anyway.

I definitely agree that not everybody enters college well-prepared to write. However, a major misconception that people have is that appropriate grammar is the indicator of a solid paper.

I work in one of the top college writing programs in the country as a tutor and as a facilitator for English 102 (a tutorial for students who do not pass our writing diagnostic test) and what we teach students in these settings is a concept we call "AFOSP." Each of the components is listed in order of importance.

AFOSP

Assignment (meeting the requirements)

Focus (Staying on target)

Organization

Support (with evidence, examples)

Proofreading (grammar)

Proofreading is at the bottom because there are other components that need to be addressed in order for the student to have a chance at succeeding on an assignment. You can write a paper that has perfect grammar but, if you turn in a disorganized and unfocused mess, the wonderful grammar will not be reflected in your grade.

I do not advocate for ignoring grammar but I do believe, with developing writers, we need to appreciate what they are able to do and help them with their individual problems. We don't need to gloss over grammatical errors but if you can help a student with the earlier parts of AFOSP, THAT is what makes them stronger writers. Make working with grammar a component of helping them but focus on the other issues first.

While it is true the content is important, especially when writing for a class outside of language arts or lit; but ultimately, the spelling and grammar are on the same level.

JMHO

I'm not saying grammar isn't important, I'm just saying that AFOSP addresses the order in which problems should be fixed. Grammatical mistakes impede communication but there's no point in communicating if there is nothing to be said. The promotion of grammar over everything is what I'm cautioning against. Grammatical mistakes irritate me to no end but they are minor failings compared to the inability to answer a question.

Writing is like owning a car: the stuff under the hood is most important to maintain. Once the car runs, THEN it makes sense to wash and wax it. It's cool to have a nice-looking car but, unless you can drive it around, it doesn't do much for you. Same with writing: grammar is the polish to a functional paper.

I don't write for a living, but I do write A LOT. And over the course of perhaps 25 years, numerous people have said to me, "How do you write so well?"

I always scratch my head, and say, "I simply write the way that that my Jr. High School English Composition teacher taught me to write."

All the while, I secretly think, "Why didn't you learn the same stuff?"

SP is correct, text talk has replaced the written and spoken word with todays youth. An elementary school near me has gotten really concerned and this year every student from K through 5th is required to keep a daily hand written journal. The teachers claim it has significantly helped with their writing skills. Omg my bff is roflhao.

You just gotta love the irony of it all!

Spj, tech jargon entering common paralance is an A-Okay evolution of the English language. No need to consider it a snafu!

I read a NY Times article saying that FB statuses actually have a positive effect on coherent writing. I've observed this effect in some of my youth. They make a statement, their friends point out flaws in logic. They correct it. A counter-arguement is posted. They revise the thesis. And so on ...

All of this without the aid of a teacher.

On the other hand, unless the kid makes errors that lead to misinterpretation, writing FB statuses does nothing to improve his grammar.

So the next time someone corrects the grammar in someone's Facebook post, and someone ELSE whines, "Gra-a-a-mmar Poli-i-ice," the rest of us can swat them and say, "We're doing it for the good of the English language, dammit!"

;-)