Can you still be a Christian if

you dont believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ?

There was a little bit of a discussion last week about Lutheran Churches leaving the Lutheran USA church and joining other churches. Our CO is a Lutheran Church that just voted to leave the Lutheran USA and join the Lutheran North American. There was another article in the news paper this morning on the church and their decision to leave saying that the support of a gay clergy was just the latest of reasons they departed from the Lutheran USA, other reasons included a growing unbelief of the virgin birth and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Can a person still be a Christian and not believe in the resurrection?

Barry

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not Lutheran and hadn't heard much about this, but the topic piqued my interest. I'm curious about the basis for th question, as just looking at the group's website, i don't see anything consistent with non-beleif in the resurrection. In fact, I quickly found this statement:

2. The Gospel of Salvation

We believe and confess that all human beings are sinners, and that sinners are redeemed by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. God alone justifies human beings by faith in Christa faith that God creates through the message of the Gospel. As ambassadors for Christ, God uses us to speak His Word and build His kingdom.

Barry

1COR15:14 If Christ is not risen then our preaching is in vain and so your faith is in vain.

St.Paul basically says that if there is no resurrection than we have no afterlfe to look forward to after our death. So can you still be a Christian? I guess it is how you choose to define "Christian". IMHO if there was no resurrection of Jesus or for us then the basic tenant of Christianity is gone and no reason to be Christian exsists. So you can follow the precept of the hedonist, "eat, drink and be merry for tommorrow we will die."

We humans were given free will and the ability to logically decide what we choose to believe and follow. I saw a bumper sticker a while back that said "Those who do not believe in Hell better be right", and wondered why religion has been used as a weapon and in an adversarial manner all throughout history when its basic premise is to promote peace, love and understanding it has instead fostered anger, intolerance, hatred and violence. Yeah I know the scripture quoting Jesus saying he has come to divide households, etc. The Christianity created by humanity has fallen way short of what the Bible intended.

My question is, Can you still be a Christian and be intolerant or vengeful against those who believe differently from yourself?(This message has been edited by BadenP)

From what I know, I believe the following:

1) You can't be a Christian if you don't believe in Christ

2) You can be a Christian and behave in a very unchristian like manner.

3) You can't be a Lutheran if you don't drink coffee. :)

Muslims believe in the resurrection ("So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)!" The Koran quoting Jesus.) They don't believe it was subsequent to a shameful death on the cross.

By their own admission, they are decidedly not Christian.

I may be completely wromng , and aknowledge that I may be as accurate as a football bat when I say this, but isn't it the Jehovah's witnesses who think Jesus hasn't risen yet?

Or maybe it was another group I hear of. Basically, they agree that he dies, but do not feel he has resurected ...YET. They have no doubt he will, but not yet.

My own "supposed to be" religion is Episciple.. Honestly, although I believe and have my faith, I will say it is not constrained to any one organized religions...so again, I may be as accurate as that football bat - but at my fathers Epsiciple funeral, Father Tim ( who was presiding) made a statement about all spirits still being within their dead shell of a body in a state of rest that is comparable as a LONG restfull nap. And they were waiting for judgement day and the resurectiion to rise up and be in the kingdom of God.

And I cannot even begin to think of quoting him, but it came4 out along the lines of the bresurection still to come.

Now, ask anybody at my parents church and they will not hesitate to tell you that they are indeed christains. Ask the Jehovahs, (or at least the few I know) and they will say the same.

So it rteally comes down to individual or groupo thinking.

Buyt then again, people who enslaved and killed others without blinking based on being a different skin color or religion have no doubt they are christians either.

The original post says "Our CO is a Lutheran Church that just voted to leave the Lutheran USA and join the Lutheran North American."

I think a little homework is in order. What is "Lutheran USA," and what is "Lutheran North American?" Let's get our ducks in a row.

To me, a Lutheran (and any Christian I happen to know) believes (confesses) the Apostles' Creed. The Creed includes the resurrection.

So, to me, the answer to the OP is no.

BDPT00

The Lutheran North American church dates all the way back to 2010. Someone posted a note on the door of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America stating that allowing pastors to be involved in committed same sex relationships didn't jive with their interpretation of Scripture.

I guess my question is who is responsible for assigning labels and categories to people based on their religious/faith beliefs? And, as a followup, am I expected or obligated to care about the labels that others have tried to apply to me?