Council president says they ignore rules against gays and atheists

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quote says nothing inconsistent with BSA policies.

There is no ambiguity. Membership is not denied to youth who openly claim to be gay. Never was. Period.

The quote does not discuss athiesm. (Unless I missed the memo that "orange" is the new euphamism for it.)

The reporter uses the term "everyone." Davidson does not. This is a case of the 4th estate trying to stir up trouble where there is none.

I really do think that this Council President just misspoke.

Not much more.

We some years back looked into renaming our Council.

Was talked about for a little while, but when it was seen how expensive it would be: New letterheads, new flags for units, new CSP's. The idea kinda got put on hold and hasn't been brought up since.

I don't think that most kids care that much about the name of the Council.

It only ever really comes into play when they start trading patches.

I'll bet that most of the parents who sign a little Lad up for Cub Scouts pay very little attention to the name of the Council.

I'm not so sure that the name of a Council plays any real part in how much or how little funds can be raised?

I know when it comes to me making a donation, I'm more concerned about what an organization does than what it's called.

This really is just a storm in a tea cup.

Ea.

NJ - don't need a source to say it isn't there. Read the youth application. There's no declaration of sexual preference principle. I'm around enough "rule spouters" to know if it existed. (The side of my head would feel the book being thrown at me.) There are other threads that discuss the "hows and whys" of this stance.

EA - I don't think the council president mispoke at all. The guy's a lawyer. Misspeaking in front of reporters is bad for business. (Not to say that council reps never botch it royally from time to time.) The reporter never indicates that she directly confronted the guy about "stances against gays and atheists". (She wouldn't tell us that she didn't, that would be bad for business.) And, even if she did, his statement as quoted correctly represents BSA policy.

And the OP wasn't interested in the name change. (Which I agree is a major waste of time -- just tweak the logo with a more masculine rainbow.) He was trying to convince us that a rule should be struck from the books by finding a prominent individual who was playing fast-and-loose with it.

Qwazse,

Read the adult application. There's no declaration of sexual preference principle there either. Yet the BSA has revoked the membership of openly gay leaders.

Now I have never heard of any youth being denied membership. So maybe it is policy and maybe it is not. If someone can point to a specific case where a youth was denied then that would settle the argument.

"If you look at the rainbow on the Rainbow Council CSP, that looks like it's a good representation of what a masculine rainbow might look like."

For those of us on the other side of the country, can you give a link to what it looks like? http://www.rcscouts.org/ has a shoulder patch on the top of the page, but the image seems pretty grainy and the "rainbow" looks to me like it only has two colors. With the star on one end, it looks to me like the trail of a "shooting star", not a rainbow.

Yeah. looks like a shooting star to me and nothing like a rainbow.

Matter of fact, looks like those stars from "The More you know" PSA's tv actors have to do when they get busted for being drunk or something:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+more+you+know%22+PSA&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nNnNTeLDAoXAtgfIvdyCDg&ved=0CFgQsAQ&biw=1419&bih=715(This message has been edited by scoutfish)