equal access and schools

Given the discussion in another thread about schools & scouts right now, I thought some of you might find this NY Times article relevant. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/04/education/04winerip.html?_r=1&hpw

In particular, this paragraph:

"The federal law permitting extracurricular clubs to use public schools before and after hours was passed in 1984 after lobbying by conservative church groups. Bible study clubs grew fruitful and multiplied, replenishing the Christian faith throughout the land. Then things took a turn to the left. The law required equal access, and gay-straight clubs started popping up. "

Why would an atheist club be banned?

I think this was an interesting article. I like the attitudes of the students, and the faculty.

Sad that some of the students were unable to talk to their parents.

Do not forget the Jesse Helms amendment. I don't know what part of the federal code was amended, but the law sponsored by Helms required that public schools receiving federal funding not discriminate against the boy scouts in either access to or fees charged for use of facilities. There were a variety of local school districts at the time actively excluding scouting groups completely on the grounds that BSA units discriminate against homosexuals. As I understand it, the Helms law essentially took that issue off the table.

I don't recall when the legislation was passed or the exact legal cite, not being an attorney, but the timing sounds about right. This came up in Florida shortly after the 2000 election fiasco there.