Medal of Honor Day, March 25

Learned something new today. March 25 is officially designated as "Medal of Honor Day," commemorating the date that the first CMHs were awarded during the Civil War (oxymoron that). It is worth remembering the sacrifice, courage and achievements of those who earned this award.

I am particularly impressed by the story of Pfc. Desmond Doss on Okinawa during WWII. Not only was he a hero, he was also a conscientous objector serving as medic.

• 1 month later...

This is sort of near and dear to my heart-- thanks for posting it. I think we have started to neglect the proper recognition accorded to our MoH recipients. They are real heroes. Unfortunately, media focus is not so much on them and what they have done in service to their country and fellow soldiers as it is on our military's shortcomings in other areas or on policy.

I've had an opportunity to hear some Medal of Honor winners tell their stories, and read citations, and they're simply incredible. Very modest, and humble, too--but real men.

Medal of Honor Archive

Regards,

Paul Lukehart

http://www.scoutspirit.com

Is it only me or others that think it is weird that considering the times today, the first medal of honor recipients were awarded to those that hijacked the predominant mode of transportation of the day, deep in the enemy's country - bound for destruction. Where have we seen that scenario before?

I think there's a huge difference in a war between destroying infrastructure and killing thousands of unarmed civilian non-combatants. Those guys who stole the General even picked up 11 Confederate soldiers along the "regularly scheduled route". I haven't seen any mention of the Union soldiers killing those Confederate soldiers that boarded the train, just some property damage. I think that's about as honorable a war as anyone could likely expect -- a far, far cry from the September 11th attacks.