Help Me Understand Libya?

The Armys mission is to fight and win our Nations wars by providing prompt, sustained land dominance across the full range of military operations and spectrum of conflict in support of combatant commanders. This is done by:

1. Executing Title 10 and Title 32 United States Code directives, to include organizing, equipping, and training forces for the conduct of prompt and sustained combat operations on land.

2. Accomplishing missions assigned by the President, Secretary of Defense and combatant commanders, and Transforming for the future.

Part of the missions are to provide support to civil authorities in order to provide the protection and support needed to sustain the United State's national interest and stability.

So civilians like President Obama, can pretty much say "go do this .... to support our national interest."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what is the name of the group we are supporting, what is their name? "Sons of Libya" has familiar ring, I wonder if that's it. What is the name of their Leader and what do they espouse? Democracy? Stalinism? Sharia law?

If/WHen they take over, what is their Vision of Libya?

Ironic isn't it. Bush the cowboy invades Iraq with numerous UN resolutions in his pocket along with formal congressional backing and is deemed a war criminal. Obama gets the Nobel Peace Prize for doing absolutely nothing, attacks Libya with only one UN resolution in his pocket and no congressional resolution even submitted, and no clear mission at all.(This message has been edited by eisely)

Bevah said "The young folks in the Arab world are on the right side of history, and more importantly are on da right side of liberty and justice."

Actually, we don't know that. Nor do we know they are on the wrong side. I'm old enough to remember that we thought Fidel Castro was "..on the right side of history, and more importantly are on da right side of liberty and justice."

We won't know whether they are on the right or wrong side unless and until they win and we see what they bring forth.

So civilians like President Obama, can pretty much say "go do this .... to support our national interest."

Of course they can, just like they can order 'em to wear pink tutus I suppose.

Da question is whether they should. What makes the best policy? As OGE and others point out, that isn't always clear.

We support da Saudis because Fahd and Abdullah were good at schmoozing with our elite and providing oil. Even though their family continues to finance Wahabbi Islamists throughout their nation and the world. Not Al Queda itself, eh? I agree with jrush on that. But the fertilizer that nurtures the growth of Queda and similar groups throughout the area. Keep da young ignorant and radicalized.

So some caution is in order, but some faith as well. Radical islamist notions thrive in dictatorships. They don't do at all well when there is more freedom and self-determination. Supportin' freedom and self-determination is not only consistent with our values, it's good long-term strategic sense.

President Obama is in a unique position, because he resonates with da youth of the middle east in a new way. A black fellow named Hussein can be POTUS? Heck, I'm named Hussein! He was even born in Kenya. :) I think Israel also did a good turn with da prosecution and jailing of their former president. The Jews can hold their leaders accountable? Heck, WE can hold OUR leaders accountable!

I'm in favor of da Arab Spring. Feels like 1989. I think we should support it gently, while lettin' it be theirs. And I'm OK with neutralizing the weapons we and the soviets gave to old despots and dictators, but no more. But there are risks, fer sure. Low education levels, too much entrenched tribalism.

Mostly, I hope we can get over our old prejudices when confrontin' a new world. Low education and tribalism aren't the same thing as radical Islamism. We didn't do so well with Russia, and turned what could have been a bold new friendship into a lingering cold acquaintance, just because we couldn't get out of da Cold War mindset we were in. Al Queda is history if freedom makes any further inroads into the mideast. That will kill it more surely than if we nuked the entire area to glass. Da question is only whether the young people who made it happen see us as their friends and example, or somethin' else.

Beavah

This just in ...

It turns out that our activities in Libya do not amount to war but have been renamed a "kinetic military action."

I'm certainly glad that got cleared up. We can all relax now.

• 2 weeks later...

What the media isn't telling you about Libya is this Administration's fear, that a mass democide would send a large wave of humanity into Egypt. Still in it's recovery phase from it's own revolution, this influx could destablize this country putting the Suez canal in jeopardy. With nearly 4 billion barrels of crude being shipped via the canal to both Europe, and this country everyday, any disruption of the oil supply could send shock waves into these economies....it's about oil, and it's about choke points....(This message has been edited by Le Voyageur)

There is a forum of serving and retired officers and senior NCOs on facebook.

Let me be blunt: We have no more a clue of what the real mission is, or what right looks like, than any of you ... and many of the folks on that forum are still being paid to practice the profession of arms.

Right now, we see:

- We are the Libyan Rebel Air Force.

- We have "tennis shoes on the ground" in CIA officers trying to assess the rebellion.

- Our "unique capabilities" include the AC-130 gunship and the A-10 Thunderbolt II Close Air Support bird.

- POTUS wants Q gone, but he's unwilling to invest the military energy to make that happen.

- We think our "vital national interests" (reasons we are willing to go to war) now include assisting a rebellion, as long as the country in rebellion lacks bases we're using.

- AND, OBTW, what about the Ivory Coast/Yemen/Bahrain/Syria ad infinitum

Cynical? You betcha. Some of the best minds I know are scratching hard to make sense of all this.