Ideas for involving Youth at Round Table

I have pretty much finished up my presentation for an upcoming commissioner's college on "Ideas for involving Youth at Round Table". It might seem a silly idea to have youth involved at RT, after all Scouting is a serious business, best left to old time scouters and professionals... wait you say...it should be boy run program???? Well, here's your invite to come enlighten me. ;-}

Seriously though, your thoughts are welcome, as I believe this is an opportunity to put our mission into action, Fun with a purpose and Boy Lead!

Tx

j

In my district, when I was the Roundtable Commissioner, I have used several ways to get youth, mostly SPL's, to come to Roundtable. From a pizza night, summer camp promos, Life to Eagle seminars, I even tried a "junior roundtable" program, using the same themes, but at the SPL level.

Currently, we get youth to come 3 to 4 of our 9 roundtables we offer. The trick is to gear the topic to the interest of the youth. Has that changed in my 30+ years of Scouting? In some ways, yes, but in most, no way.

When I was a Scout, I caught "Follow Me Boys" on TV. At Monday's troop meeting, we showed the film to the troop, you could hear a pin drop. It still captures a scout heart, like it did me 25 years ago!

(This message has been edited by shemgren)

Our Rountables have the opening and closing done on a rotating basis by scouts form different troops. Plus, when presentaitons are made about Winter Camping, Ourdoor Cooking, Places in the Area to Camp, the troops giving the presentaion are encouraged to have scouts do as much as possible, it fits in the communication merit badge and Venture Crew members always have to teach something for their awards. I would say we have about 50-60% of our ROuntable topics done by scouts.

Certain topics should be off limits around youth. Most are not. I know that my District has an "adults only" rule for roundtable. However, simultaneously in another part of the building, the Order of the Arrow meets.

There are good pros and cons as to why youth should or should not attend roundtables.

This is a great question. I've had thoughts of trying something like a Green Bar Patrol. All the SPLs would have a meeting where the Green Bar Patrol leader would be handout the same district information and annoucements that SMs normally receive, and then do a little JLTC leadership development. Then they would meet with the SMs to learn ideas for program. Hope we get more great ideas. Great subject J.

Barry

I'm the new Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner for my district. Since last year, we've been inviting Crew Presidents and SPLs to our roundtable. At first they were quiet but later they started giving us their perspectives to what they would want at our big events.

Yes, pizza, buffalo wings,and other goodies will always bring them back. but most of the jr. leaders return because we gave them that opportunity to be involved at the district level.

Some older Scouters believed that RT was only for the Big boys and girls. I beg to differ. Giving these scouts and venture jr. leaders the chance to voice their concerns helps the program. It breaks down the "us versus them" perception. Plus, they, the jr. leaders, see us Scouters have the same fun they do.

All I can say it has helped our program at the district level.

I am all for junior leaders attenting Roundtable. I think it helps to provide supplemental training to the adults and the youth. The purpose of Roundtable is to provide the "will to do" and the "skill to do" good scouting within the troop. The more people that are trained and motivated the better the program the troop can offer.

There should be nothing taking place or being discussed at roundtables that a youth should not be able to hear see or do at a troop meeting.

Bob White

jbroganjr

Could you share your presentation? I'm a new BSRT Comm. and really need new ideas. Some of our dist folks have been Scouters for 30+ years. There is some new blood but we have been trained by the more experienced Scouters and have been indoctrinated with their thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

Steve