What "was" your first car?

I got my license on a 1971 Chevrolet Kingswood station wagon, the family flivver.

I learned my clutch on a 1964 Ford Econoline van we used as the family camping trip wheels.... that straight 6 was the world's most underpowered engine.

The first car I bought was a 1979 BMW 318 when I was stationed in Germany. 160kmph (100mph) on the Autobahn.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Al, my dad's '72 metallic green Ford Pinto nicknamed "Fireball." One of the dumbest things I've ever done in my life was to get that thing up over 100mph. It was shaking so bad I thought the steering wheel would fall off in my hands.

The first car of my own was a baby blue '76 Chevette named "The Mayflower" on account of all the girls who came across in it. Anyway, that's the story I told the guys and see no point in changing it 30 years later. At about 75,000 miles the brakes were gone, the clutch had been tightened as far as it would go, the tires were a slick as a baby's butt and finally the head gaskets went. It needed about $1,000 worth of work and blue book on it was about half that. When I found another car I wanted to trade for, I detailed the Chevette and parked it overnight at a McDonald's across the street from the dealer. Next morning, I filled the radiator up with ice water and coasted across the street to the dealership (if I let it heat up, water would start blowing out of the gaskets). At the dealership, I jumped out and took the plates off, figuring without plates, the dealer would only drive it around the parking lot. It work, they allowed me $2200 on the trade in.

The car I traded for was an 1980 Honda Civic two-door that had 45,000 miles on it when I bought it. I put another 75,000 on it then sold it to my brother who put 100,000 miles on it before he gave it to his wife's nephew with over 250,000 miles. The dang thing is probably still on the road somewhere.

The car I got my license with in 1992 and drove during my last two years of high school was a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis, the boat I could cruise in with my friends (even the tall ones) and still have plenty of space.

The first car I owned was a 2001 Honda Civic LX, which I got in Nov 2000 as a b-day present to myself when I got my first good job after college. It's now 10 years old with 98,000 miles on it... so few miles because I've been working from home since 2002 and we got a mom-mobile when we had kids, so it is no longer our primary mode of family transportation.

'72 Chevy El Camino with the 350, and a fitted camper shell. It was green. My little sister was aghast that such an ugly vehicle could sit in front of our house. She called it the Green Banana.

The first car I ever drove (at age 8) was a Water Truck on a runway out at Travis Air Force Base. It was a manual trans so we bucked like a bronco and my dad bounced and flailed around in the passenger seat,exaggerated for effect, of course.

First car I drove: my parents 1979 Buick Electra Estate Wagon, which came stock with an Oldsmobile small-block 403....although it didn't have a lot of HP (around 200), it did have approximately 350 ft/lbs of torque. I could beat a lot of people off the line with that thing (including friends who had 80's and early 90's Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs), but as soon as we got down the road a bit, it get passed.

First car that was "mine": 1985 Pontiac 6000 which had bench seats...and which proved useful in HS! Not much to look at, but with 89 cent gas, I could fill it up for less than $10!

First car that I purchased: 1978 Corvette...right when I turned 21. I did the body work and repainted it, re-did the interior, ect. I still have it, but it's back in Florida at my parent's home in storage.

First new car I purchased: 2004 Pontiac Aztek...most people think it's ugly as sin, but it is the most utilitarion vehicle I've driven. It' has come very handy with Scout stuff as the back seats fold down, flip up, and even come out, lots of configurations, which means it carries a lot of stuff.

1952 Ford Sunliner convertible. Dad had it towed into the back yard, with a blown engine. I think he paid $150 for it. He said I could have it, but I had to do all the repairs first, including buying the parts. When we were finished, it had a '53 Merc engine with 3/4 cam and other goodies. Custom bodywork and paint. Took all summer. Fun car, and what I learned from Dad has saved me many dollars over the years.

'72 Chevy Vega hatchback.

4 cylinder, aluminum block engine, 4 speed stick.

Great on gas, but burned a quart of oil every 1K miles or so by the time I got rid of it.

For car guys and non car folks, if you want a laugh check out Top Gear on BBC America some time. My kids turned my on to this show and it's a riot. My wife even likes it.

SA

Alamance, as the victim of a similar vintage Duster, slant six, I share your pain.

Skeptic, I almost missed this, " So, what does it say about the "male mystique", in that all or almost all these responses are from male scouters?"

It says that most women are barely able to turn the key in the ignition. What do you expect?(This message has been edited by packsaddle)