What "was" your first car?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After graduating high school and saving, I bought a '69 Camaro hardtop. Then I commenced to customize it, rebuild the engine, paint, etc. I remember having a box of parts left over from building the engine and my parent's asking me if I knew what I was doing since I had so many parts left. I picked up the "How to Rebuild Your Smallblock Chevrolet" book and told them: "If I can learn calculus and chemistry from a book, I can rebuild an engine from a book." Then I turned the key and disturbed the neighborhood with open headers :)

I sold that car a few years later and swore I would own another and it would be a convertible. In 1995, I bought my '69 Camaro convertible. I proceeded with a frame-off build on that car. Then I bought a '55 2nd series, big window Cjevrolet pickup to be the tow vehicle. It ended up with an LT1 and 4L60E drivetrain, 20" Boyd's, air ride, and a hand built interior.

My parents always criticized spending my money on these projects, but now they stand in awe of what I've built and that they are actually worth a lot of money.

You know what is interesting about this discussion, this is exactly what we discussed around the campfire as boy scouts.

That and what is your favorite fighter airplane, what is your favorite motorcycle?

Yep, I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

1979 Chevrolet Impala with the 170-horsepower 350-cubic-inch V-8, $215.00 at auction. I couldn't afford the gas for it even back then and then got the "Bomb" 1974 Ford Pinto Runabout in "Flame Orange" and "Date-Door" (Passenger could get in but needed assistance from the outside to get out)$500 at auction. From there I graduated to a Trek 7000 touring bicycle(It no kidding, cost more) a Ford Mustang(el cheapoo $$$ repairo had to go bye-bye) and afterwards bought my first and Last new car a 1994 Isuzu Impulse. From there I've had a 1985 Mazda RX-7, 1994 Saturn SL-2 and a 2004 Saturn LS200(newish).

The first car I drove regularly was my father's old 61 Chevy Bel Air. (Seems to be a popular model for first cars for persons of a certain age.) This was in the mid-70's. All I really remember about the car was that it was black, had fins and (by the time I was driving it) a broken floorboard by the gas pedal that my father had repaired in order to counter the Fred Flintstone effect.)

After that I drove a 66 (I think) Plymouth Fury III. It was blue.

Parts of this discussion remind me of the movie "A Christmas Story" where the narrator is talking about his father's car. "My old man's spare tires were actually only tires in the academic sense. They were round, they had once been made of rubber...." Thanks to the Internet for the exact quote.

This is a great "get to know you" thread and I should have joined in earlier. My first car was a 59 Chevy El Camino. It was sitting on the street in front of our house when a guy came around the corner and plowed it. I never even got to drive it! Soone there after I got a 59 Studebaker Hawk (hence my screen name) and for my 16th birthday my dad got me another 59 El Camino. I still have the second El Camino and a 59 Hawk! The El Camino has 46K original miles and was special ordered with almost every option and I am the second owner. It has a 348 Tri-Power, 4 speed and posi. It has dual spotlights (original GM not universal ones!), bumper guard, two tone paint, power seat, tinted glass, padded dash, wonder bar radio, clock and a whole lot more! My 10 year old son is chomping at the bit to drive it someday. The Hawk is another low mile 2 owner car but was originally a cheap 6 cylinder transportation car. I have added a 350 Chevy with a 5 speed, 9 inch Ford rear and four wheel disc brakes. I also put a set of 62 Golden Hawk bucket seats in it with an original floorshift steering column along with a set of earlier Golden Hawk full gauges including the rare tach. It also has a wonder bar radio! One other bit of neat stuff is I also have a 59 Tbird with a 430 Lincoln engine (it was a fairly rare option) and I am the original owner of a 1959 Ariel Leader motorcycle that my dad bought me! I am in the antique car business and actually have about 50 cars, trucks, trailers, and motorcycles.

Living in downtown London, there really wasn't a need for a car.

My first "Ride" was a 750 Norton in a BSA frame. Great bike much better than any Harley!

I thought I was the cats whiskers when I bought my first real car. A used 1968 Ford Anglia.

Then in an effort to be really cool and in with the in crowd I bought a brand new Morris Mini.

First American car was a Mercury Cougar XR-7.

Have been looking for a preowned Morgan, but haven't found one that isn't going for silly money. -One of these days!

Ea.

1978 Ford Station Wagon bought it for $500 when I was in 11th grade. Had a pair homemade 14" speakers that rattled everything including themselves! When my 6 best friends and I went camping, it hauled everything!