What "was" your first car?

Showing our ages I bet if we answer this question. I began driving in a maroon 51 flat head Ford manual on the column. My brother left it at home when he went in the navy; he had chopped the front, added glass packs with two sets of drag pipes. It was the loudest car in the basin (Morongo Basin), and I was always dodging cops. I had to pay half the insurance and registration, as well as all the maintenance; and I also had to give it up to him if he came home. Good thing was, he seldom came home, and when he did, he had his own Chevy, though he still would take the Ford out and hot rod.

First car I owned was a 57 Chevy Belair 3 speed with a 283 Corvette engine. Put the stick on the floor with a Hurst synchro-loc, went to White Front and got chrome reverse wheels and moonies, put a Covico steering wheel on it, and joined the local car club, The Dusters. Then went in the Air Force and my parents sold the car because "it was in the way and an eyesore" where it was stored on blocks. You would have to see the house to understand the irony of that. So, when I came home after 3 years in Germany, I had to buy a new car instead of finish the Chevy. Oh well; it was great at the time.(This message has been edited by skeptic)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup definitely of a different generation thany you Skeptic,

My first car was a 1985 Chevy S-10 that was somewhere between red and orange, able to take everything I threw at it including the road once (rolled onto it's side and drove it home) and keep coming back for more.

Finally traded it for another pick up and they gave me $150 less when I traded it then they said when I got it appraised, guess someone thought highly of the Pioneer stereo system I took out. . .;-)

Came up too late for Automobiling MB, so earned Automotive Safety.

Dad had a landscape business, so I was the chief asistant mechanic growing up. I "inherited" a 1948 Ford F-1 Panel truck, when dad decided he didn't need it (in 1965!). Drove it to school, and dates(!). Wish I coulda kept it.

Onward and upward...

First car I drove was a 1982 Mustang GT T top that I sat in my brothers lap and steered 'cause I was 8y.o. :)

First car I ever had was a 1979 Mustang. Mom paid $100 for it and it was a combined birthday/graduation present. That was a surprise as I was not expecting it. I had it about 8 months before it died. Adam Sandler wrote a song about it; didn't realize he use to own it ;) But it got me to my jobs and classes for those 8 months.

First car I ever bought was a 1981 Datsun 210. It got the job done and lasted 3 years. It probably would have lasted longer if the folks I asked to drive it while I was in the UK did so. Unfortunately 3 months with no driving killed it. It wasn't pretty, but the gas mileage was great (I remember when gas was $.98/gallon) and it got me to school, work and campouts.

Mine was a fire engine red 1966 Mercury Comet 2 door ragtop....and I still have and drive it! I have probably spent 20 fold on what the car originally cost just keeping it inside a mini warehouse. Good thing that girl can't talk cause if she did I probably would be divorced! She carries a lot of memories. Ah...those days of driving countless miles at Daytona Beach with the college cuties. I've gone thru 2 restorations so far and am currently in my 3rd. Its an ongoing project. Hopefully I'll have her finished up in time to pass along to my son. He's a Tiger.

My first car that I had to use was a 1963 Belair with a bent frame, you could only get in on the passenger side as the drivers door would only open if you were on a slight incline. That lasted a year before I got a 1961 Chevy II base model. It had been owned by Commonwealth Edison in Chicago so it was the puke beige color they had. No radio although I did manage to wire one in.

The next car I had was probably my "first" car in that I wa really happy to have it. But that did take awhile to be happy.

My father "bought" it for me. He told me he knew I was looking for a car to replace the 61 Chevy so he met a guy who had a very stylish car for sale and my father said I would buy it. Negotiated the price and everything. All I had to do was "pay"

It was a 1959 Studebaker SilverHawk.

It has gauges for oil pressure and water temperature, toggle switch for headlights a multi position reclining front seats and a hood that weighed more than the car it replaced. There was a reason Studebaker's were referred to South Bend Oil Burners

Owned it a few years until one bright spring day I realized there was a fog following me everywhere I went. When I got to a gas station it was check the gas and fill the oil.

Then I got my first real new car, a 1973 AMC Hornet Hatchback, but thats another story(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

The first car I bought after college was a 1973 AMC Javelin, Green with gold racing stripes. A great little car, but not really practical for camping and Scouting, as the trunk was the size of the proverbial breadbox. Moved on to Oldsmobile Cutlasses and now Chevy Suburbans!

1974 Ford Pinto squire (fake wood applique on the side) station wagon. Light blue like the one at http://omwoman.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/pinto.jpg Cost $3300 new and the only "upgrade" was the sport mirrors and spoiler on the back (which my mom knocked off with the garage door anyway). Worst part was the AM-only radio.

I turned 16 in 12th grade and in order to have the car for the day, I had to wake up early to get my dad to the train station for his commute.

(This message has been edited by AlFansome)

I'm pretty sure my first car was a Radio Flyer.

My second vehicle was probably a Tonka

My first car with a combustion engine was a 1965 Tank - I mean 1965 4-door Buick LeSabre.

I crushed one of those wooden picnic table with the metal tube-like frames when it got between me and a concrete wall when I was backing it up one night. The picnic table was destroyed - I just broke the tailight lens (like I said - tank).

1964 Plymouth 4 door, 3 on the column, slant 6 .... Definitely not a babe-magnet. The only heads it turned was when they took a second look and said, "What in hell was that!"

Your mileage may vary, (but not with that car....)

Stosh

1965 Ford Fairlane 500 with a 289. Before that I 'borrowed' my father's 1958 F100 4WD. Learned to double-clutch on his old '37 Ford work truck.

I had designs on his 1940 Ford coupe but he sold it on a whim when I was still too young to fight for it...for $50. I could just cry. All it needed was a new battery.

Edited part: Oooohhh, I get it now. That first car thing is just a 'code'....

My first car WRECK was also in that Fairlane. A guy lost it in a curve and hit me head on. Totaled it. Insurance gave me next to nothing for it so the next one was as cheap as possible, a Plymouth Duster, slant 6. I developed a life-long hatred of Chrysler products because of that car.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Handmedowns from Dad at first:

64 Ford F150, 3 on the tree.

66 4 speed, VW something or other that my grandfather shipped over from Germany, a model never sold in the US

67 Buick Wildcat

66 Cadillac Coupe

First I bought:

73 Monte Carlo