2 Questions - Opinion Desired

Buddhism (as I posted earlier) is a settled matter: It's a faith community. Scouting recognizes it.

Exccept the main beliefs of Buddhism (or at least my rudiamentary understanding of them) are inconsistent with the DRP (to the extent the DRP requires belief in capital "G" God). Inconsistencies from Irving? Who'da thunk it?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This person, I won't stoop so low as to call him a scout, lied to other good scouters and dishonored scouting and scoutings highest award.

You think I am being harsh? That calling him a liar and a low life is not appropriate? I have no respect for him at all, non what so ever.

On the other hand I repect people like Merlyn. He may not like scouting and disagree with a lot of what we do, but atleast he is honest and truthful upfront and does not openly try to lie and deceive us.

But since he isn't man enough to answer who he is I guess there is no sense in continueing this discussion.(This message has been edited by nldscout)

nld there are very good reasons why someone would choose not to share their full identity on the web, as I'm sure you know, since you are a judge in NYS in the real world. The ad hominem attacks ("not man enough"? please) really don't help your argument.

OK.. here is a question, some are upset that the OP has not followed the scout law of being "Trustworthy" and "reverant". I agree those have tarnished him, but made him a total lost cause..

There is one thing in the scout oath that is not followed by all of us, and those who have not followed it have (up to now) been accepted, by those that do follow it.. Though we have now started down the path of rejecting them..

physically strong... We all agree we should promote it, but should we deny people who do not follow it?

Should we start to deny boys who do not meet the Height/weight chart from getting Eagle? If they are overweight (this is something they can prevent)? How about not being physically fit over that which is beyond their control? heart problems or Epilepsy..

For the record, I don't think so, because alot of boys who are unable to do football or other sports due to not being in peak physical health do join scouting in order to have something other then being a couch potato in their lives.. We have the ability to improve their health.. We have the ability to welcome those with physical disabilities and learn from each other how to work with diversity..

But I am just wondering the value the boys placing on the words "physically fit", if they recite the Scout Law, then an hour later down a twinkie or ice cream while they are in need of loosing a few pounds..

Maybe I feel this way because I have a few pounds to loose myself..? Maybe alot of you feel we should kick all people who are not in perfect health out of scouting.. Maybe in a few years Scouting will tighten their enforcement of physically fit to do just that.

Well the atheism question is really hitting home now. One of my son's friends, whose parents have said they are atheists, just showed up at my pack meeting tonite. I do not know if they will stay around or not, but here is what I am doing. #1 going to work with them as I would with anyone else,. and #2 try to show the beauty of God through his works to boy and his parents if they go camping, hiking, etc with us, and #3 talk to the parents in private when I can. Lastly I am going to pray for them.

To cut to the chase:

1. No.

2. No.

Your beliefs and lifestyle are you own. But if you are looking for respect, or validation of your beliefs, or recognition, or momentum to change the BSA, you would have gotten alot more of all if you spoke your mind, and made a stand several years ago, and then hung up your scout uniform as a first class or star scout. Agree or disagree with your values, such a stand would have been honorable. Instead, you willingly continued to progress in an organization that promoted values contrary to your own, and you publicly espoused these values though you ceased to believe them at a certain point.

While your Eagle badge is now a handy spring board for your agenda, the foundation of your efforts to earn it are suspect. And folks will know it.

Best wishes in your future endeavors.

Blancmange,

I remember reading about Buddhist religious emblems when I was a youth member (that would be the late 60s).

That dog does not hunt, at least to me. Buddhism as part of Scouting is a settled matter. Heck, their emblem looks far harder, age for age, than anything PRAY puts on the street.

John-in-KC, you don't seem to realize that someone can be a Buddhist and an atheist at the same time. Same with Jewish and atheist, or UU and atheist (it's practically de rigueur). It doesn't matter if the BSA recognizes Buddhists collectively, there are Buddhists who are also atheists.

If you were in charge of admissions to a club that only allowed people with black hair, would you let in anyone Japanese sight unseen? Most of them have black hair, but you can't assume they all do.

PS: Ed, you still can't learn things.

PS: Ed, you still can't learn things.

I learn just fine Merlyn. The BSA is a private organization. You don't have a right to belong if you don't meet the membership requirements. None of your rights are violated.

" I expect the ASMs in our Troop to be active in their religious institutions."

I don't, I figure that's there business. I do however expect my leaders to take part in a Scouts Own service during a camping trip.

Clem hit the nail on the head with his comment about now being an adult leader and one that I made earlier when I said "You do not meet BSA's adult membership requirements". Once you make the transition at age 18 the standards are higher. Now instead of being a Scout you are a mentor and role model for the Scouts in your troop. BSA has the right to expect you to live up to their rules when you're working with their youth.

Touc, I'd like to hear from your SM, CC, and COR about their opinions on this. Any chance you could get them to make a comment?

Tuoc, you have a history of not being truthful so if I ask you to repeat answers to questions, that's the price you pay for being a prevaricator.

A long long long time ago we had a frequent postor who was sympathetic to the plight of gay scouts. He told us about one scout he knew who was torn up because he was gay and Eagle. Attempted suicide once and contemplated it often. Time goes on and then the poster admits he is the scout. I was flat out disgusted, not that he was gay but because in the cover of anonymity of the forum, he still couldnt say he was gay and an Eagle and I dismissed anything he said after that as untrustworthy. You on the other hand told us up front and wanted to know our opinions, and you are getting them. I some regard that is being more honest than the other guy yet you lie every time you say the oath and law and recharter so you can see where the issue is.

I could say I wish you didnt have to lie, but that does not excuse the fact you are not being truthful. You can say that's not what you asked, but this is the internet and much like Forrest Gump's feather things go where they go and you either buy in or not

Heck, I challenged the group to let this thread die by not responding and you see how effective that was