The Race to 2012 - GOP Primaries

Violence?

I thought Arizona politicians were going to tone down the rhetotic...

Referencing the Super Bowl? Lets think about the NFL, Billionaire owners and millionaire players who can't agree how to split the billions of revenue. Yeah, thats the people to model

Sport is entertainment, the Super Bowl CHamps are as politically important as Lady Gaga

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baden P, that's the second problem with Trump.

Who can the President fire? The people serve "at the pleasure of the President", a list which includes ZERO lawmakers. He can fire his own cabinet members, and people who work in executive branch departments, bureaus and agencies. He can fire the director of the CIA or FBI. He can fire the Chiefs of the military service branches. Important to note, he can't just fire one and name the replacement...he can *nominate* a replacement, but those positions (including military) are confirmed by the Senate.

He cannot fire anyone in the House. Nobody in the Senate. He can't fire anyone on the US Supreme Court. He can't even fire the Vice President.

Next, come up with a list of Presidents who were not politicians (in some form or fashion...remember that General Officers are politicians as well) before entering the oval office, and you get a VERY short list. Discuss their outstanding track records. Here's the only two: WH Taft and Herbert Hoover. One was a judge and the other an engineer. Arguably a supreme court judge is a politician, too, so your only true non-politician ever to be elected President was Herbert Hoover.

BadenP, the country isn't electing Bozos to Congress.

Districts and States are electing Bozos to Congress.

It doesn't matter if I think Pelosi or Reid are Bozos...they aren't representing me. It only matters if I think my Representative and Senator is a Bozo. Quite frankly, the people in Pelosi's district probably do think my Representative is a Bozo, but they have no say in who my Rep is, so it evens out in the wash.

BS-87,

I was a Paul supporter during the last election. Funny how the mainstream Republicans ignored him as crazy and wrote him off only to become "me too's" when they had him out of the way. With the rise and prominance of the Tea Party and all of those "me too" candidates, it will be interesting to see if they are just going to talk the talk or actually walk the walk like Paul does. My favorite so far is former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson this go around. He is a libertarian like Paul.(This message has been edited by sr540beaver)

SR540Beaver -

I'm a big Gary Johnson fan as well, and would love to see a Paul/Johnson, Johnson/Paul ticket. I do think though that he'll have an even harder time facing the status quo republicans that Ron Paul does.

BS-87, Paul isn't going to get any support from any Republicans of any sort. He'll get support from Libertarians who have been voting Republican. The Libertarian platform just conflicts too badly with the Republican platform on some key issues.

• 2 weeks later...

jrush - Maybe the GOP will wake up when they realize this.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/05/cnn-poll-still-no-front-runner-in-the-battle-for-the-gop-nomination/

"Who does best against Obama? Paul. The congressman from Texas, who also ran as a libertarian candidate for president in 1988 and who is well liked by many in the tea party movement, trails the president by only seven points (52 to 45 percent) in a hypothetical general election showdown. Huckabee trails by eight points, with Romney down 11 points to Obama. "