What is up with all the crying?

Joe Bob

Thanks for the FYI, I knew it didnt sound quite right. Anyway all you congressional "Girlymen" grow a pair and get something done for a change, democrat and republican, stop the childlike behavior or you will all be out of a job. Oh-oh that would mean the TeaParty will get control and Sarah Palin becomes President, I guess things could get a lot worse in DC, lol.

I love that commercial Gern. It's one of the few I don't get tired of seeing. The part where he offers him a tissue and then throws the box at him (actually, past him) is priceless. Of course I am a big R. Lee Ermey fan anyway.

As for politicians crying in public, I think most of the time it is on cue, though I don't see who they are scoring points with by doing so. When I was in college I got involved in a campaign for a prominent New Jersey politician (nobody who ever made a name nationally) and a couple of days after he won the primary I went to a campaign meeting where he appeared and gave a little thank you speech to about 20 volunteers. He broke down at one point (which is a little more understandable than the situations with Boehner and McConnell, and besides it wasn't in public and there were no cameras.) Then I spoke with someone who had been at a similar meeting with the same guy the day or two before and was told he broke down at EXACTLY the same spot. I suspect that if gave the same talk 10 times he would start sniffling every time, and always in the same place. And this is a guy I admired and respected, and still do (although he is long gone from active politics.) But it's part of the business of politics, though usually not in public, but the game may be changing.

They score points with the feelings and emotions voters.

Now this certainly doesn't apply to everyone, but if you had to chart it, the most likely voters to consider this sort of emotional appeal are going to be either women or liberals. Therefore it is quite logical that Clinton did the whole "I feel your pain" hug and cry routine for the cammeras, but it doesn't make much sense for the Republicans, particularly not at this moment in time. However, the Republicans are always being accused of being cold, aloof, unfeeling, uncaring, inhuman, etc. by their opponents so perhaps this is a visual way of showing that not to be true.

Then there are the rational and cynical and pessimistic and realistic types that know that chances are politicians are only really crying crockodile tears unless they just got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, in which case they aren't tears of contrition, but rather tears of regret at having been caught.

I too think his tears are sincere and I, for one (apparently the only one) can see compassion in persons who don't share my political views. A political opponent is still a human being, most likely sharing every human emotion that each of us has. I'll give Boehner credit for being honest about his feelings. Too bad it didn't work for Edmund Muskie. But if Boehner can break this new ground, then maybe we can view future candidates in a new light. We could see them as human, yes subject to human emotions. We could judge them rationally, on the basis of ideas, not prejudice....Naaahhhhh!!