from Beavah

Posted: Friday, 12/10/2010: 5:46:49 PM quality

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread was spun from another thread..

Yah, figured I'd move this to a new thread for a thorough smokin', in da hopes others might still comment on my news sources thread .

Scoutfish, the smoking itself doesn't harm the other people. Yes, smoking marijuana and driving can harm other people, but that isn't the smoking per se ("itself") that does it.

Have yeh seen da studies on second-hand cigarette smoke, Merlyn?

Have yeh seen da studies comparin' the toxins in marijuana smoke with tobacco smoke?

Have yeh ever been to a rock concert?

I reckon just like cigarette smoke, the second-hand effects of smoking itself harms other people.

Beavah

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from Acco40

Posted: Friday, 12/10/2010: 7:29:15 PM quality

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mary Jane may contain more tar than commercialized tobacco cigarettes but because of the way it is "processed" marijuana is more organic so I would argue (unscientifically) that marijuana usage is more harmful to the user but less harmful to the "second hand" smoker as compared to cigarettes. Neither is "healthy" and at least one is illegal.

from JHankins

Posted: Saturday, 12/11/2010: 10:49:24 AM quality

From a medical perspective, marijuana can be far better for the treatment of chronic pain and illness than the normally prescribed pain medications, and with less side effects.

But it doesn't have to be smoked now days. Tablet forms are widely available. Smoking it usually only helps people who can't keep food down without it. I've seen hepatitis patients turn 180 degrees after a few weeks of healthy eating thanks to the side effects of THC, but they couldn't take a pill; they could only smoke it. Would you deny a sick man the right to live if he couldn't eat any other way?

Surgeons are even still using cocaine for certain medical procedures.

Everything has its uses, but certainly everything can be abused.

from 83Eagle

Posted: Saturday, 12/11/2010: 1:55:39 PM quality

Regulate and tax it? We love smokers in this country--well, as taxpayers, not as people. I'm guessing we could tax it like cigarattes and it would still be cheaper than on the black market. Lotsa new agricultural jobs too rather than planting it in the middle of clear cuts in state forests. Just sayin....

From John-in-KC

Posted: Saturday, 12/11/2010: 2:01:22 PM quality

There is part of me that agrees with Trev, especially when there are people in the Peeple's Republik of Kalifornya who want to criminalize tobacco and legalize cannablis. Marin County and Belmont, I'm talking about YOU!!

Wood smoke, leaf smoke, tobacco smoke, or cannabis smoke: The combustion products, including particulates, are the stuff that irritates the tissues and leads to cancers.

I'm pretty libertarian when it comes to drugs. Alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, opium, morphene etc should be legal, with regulations to be sold to adults, with warning labels, dosage information, interactions, and so on. And have private businesses decide if they want a smoking ban.

Len Bias wouldn't be dead, and the pope could once again drink Vin Mariani.

I'm not a sports fan of any sort OGE, but Bias' case is a good example. He bought some cocaine to celebrate his Celtics (and $3 million Reebok) contracts, but since he apparently didn't know much about cocaine; he took enough to kill a horse (with alcohol, too). I doubt he would have managed to kill himself if he could have purchased cocaine of a known strength in pill form with dosage instructions and warnings not to mix it with alcohol.

Illegal, unregulated markets are more dangerous.