Question for Bob White. Our boys asked this just last week, how can we support our troops over seas. I promised them I would find out because it is so very important at this time. I don't support the war or this President, but that has nothing to do with our brave young people who protect and fight for our country.

My question is, would it be acceptable to go to our local recruiter and ask them how our units can offer support to our troops? I know security is priority, but wouldn't the military itself be able to offer ways for Scouts to show they care and support our country? I know my oldest son who is ASM in our troop and now serving in Kuwait would love to get something from any Boy Scout unit. He is a Venture Crew Advisor also so I know he would love something from them as well.

ASM1

ASM1;

The Pentagon is actually asking that well-meaning citizens do not bog down stretched logistics systems with care packages. As mentioned on other threads in the forum, DoD is asking that those on the home front help the families of deployed service members by helping with chores and so on...

KS

I would contact the local base - not the recruiter. The base will be able to hook you up with the exisiting support network and put you to use where most needed.

You can also try military.com forums and ask around - keep in mind its an open internet site.

Also, in you efforts don't forget the Coast Guard. There are several USCG ships and small units over in the gulf and they don't get nearly the amount of recoginition the other services do. They also don't tend to have the large support networks of the larger services. Many of those Coasties have stateside families that could use some help.