Let em expire!

If a mere 2% cut to increased spending can bring the government to its knees, then we are in great trouble! All Americans took a 2% hit at the beginning of the year with the expiration of the payroll tax cut. If we can do it, surely the government can survive. Obama did his best with the old "Firemen First" scare mongering, but almost every claim he and his administration have made in recent weeks has been debunked. Look, out here in the business world, we are used to management giving us 15% budget decreases for the coming year.......multiple years in a row. The idea that 2% is going to cause worlds to collide and dogs and cats to sleep together is laughable. The White House has admitted that they came up with the sequester idea. Obama said he would veto any attempts to change it. In May of last year and then again in December, the House passed bills to replace the sequester as signed into law by Obama. The Senate didn't take up either bill. Obama rejected the offer to decide how the spending cuts would be allotted. With time getting closer and closer, Obama didn't lift a finger to meet with Congress and try to avert the sequester until the day after the deadline. I know the press is going to blame the Republicans and a large majority of America will believe what they are told. But the historical truth is out there and is easily obtainable. People need to look hard at how this whole thing came to be. What kind of leadership does it show for a president to resort to suggesting a plan that is so bad to both sides that they might be forced to come up with something better......when they were unable to to begin with. There is an old saying of, "be careful what you wish for, you might get it". Most of us learn by our teen years to be a little more judicial in taking punitive action or making threats we can't back up. Evidently our president hasn't learned that lesson and here we are.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd bring this old chestnut back to life since the Tea Party has succeeded in confirming my prediction that their plan was NOT to have a plan and was rather merely to let the sequester take hold. The whole thing was supposed to be so awful that it would provide incentive to compromise and govern. Wrong again.

Does anyone know how much Congressional pay will be cut as a result?

I have plenty of old friends in the federal system who are going to be hurt badly as a result. As much as I enjoyed the work, the people I worked with, and the command structure of the Army, I count myself lucky to have had the opportunity to leave that workplace and enter the dreamworld of academia. I understand that at least one forum member is in the federal system and others are dependent through contracts. How is all of this going to affect you?

Look out world! Collision on the way soon. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Dogs and cats sleeping together1: http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/f/2/collegehumor.7a3fb2df3a5f247cde9ad712fb95b8cb.jpg

Dogs and cats sleeping together2: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Wwat1efmj88/T9R3Kzh3lQI/AAAAAAABRqk/Q3SqWbYxvPI/s1600/Dogs+And+Cats+Napping+Together+(1).jpg

If a mere 2% cut to increased spending can bring the government to its knees, then we are in great trouble! All Americans took a 2% hit at the beginning of the year with the expiration of the payroll tax cut. If we can do it, surely the government can survive. Obama did his best with the old "Firemen First" scare mongering, but almost every claim he and his administration have made in recent weeks has been debunked. Look, out here in the business world, we are used to management giving us 15% budget decreases for the coming year.......multiple years in a row. The idea that 2% is going to cause worlds to collide and dogs and cats to sleep together is laughable. The White House has admitted that they came up with the sequester idea. Obama said he would veto any attempts to change it. In May of last year and then again in December, the House passed bills to replace the sequester as signed into law by Obama. The Senate didn't take up either bill. Obama rejected the offer to decide how the spending cuts would be allotted. With time getting closer and closer, Obama didn't lift a finger to meet with Congress and try to avert the sequester until the day after the deadline. I know the press is going to blame the Republicans and a large majority of America will believe what they are told. But the historical truth is out there and is easily obtainable. People need to look hard at how this whole thing came to be. What kind of leadership does it show for a president to resort to suggesting a plan that is so bad to both sides that they might be forced to come up with something better......when they were unable to to begin with. There is an old saying of, "be careful what you wish for, you might get it". Most of us learn by our teen years to be a little more judicial in taking punitive action or making threats we can't back up. Evidently our president hasn't learned that lesson and here we are.

The Preezy's greatest fear is that this whole episode is met with a collective "meh."
I thought I'd bring this old chestnut back to life since the Tea Party has succeeded in confirming my prediction that their plan was NOT to have a plan and was rather merely to let the sequester take hold. The whole thing was supposed to be so awful that it would provide incentive to compromise and govern. Wrong again.

Does anyone know how much Congressional pay will be cut as a result?

I have plenty of old friends in the federal system who are going to be hurt badly as a result. As much as I enjoyed the work, the people I worked with, and the command structure of the Army, I count myself lucky to have had the opportunity to leave that workplace and enter the dreamworld of academia. I understand that at least one forum member is in the federal system and others are dependent through contracts. How is all of this going to affect you?

Here's another quote for ya. "WHOOSH!" That's the sound of the point flying right over your head.

Yes, I also have to agree with Mr. Paul. In addition to the F35s, the US has 10 aircraft carriers in service, several in reserve and we're building a couple more. The only other country with more than one in service is Italy with 2. No other country has more than 1 and I'm not particulary concerned about a suprise attack from the Italians. Washington just doesn't get it.

As a government contractor I've seen my share of waste. A moron could find 85 billion to cut from the current Federal spending. Obama blew it. He should have taken the Republican offer to have the authority to administer the cuts where needed. No one wants to take the responsiblity for cutting some special interest's funding. I see the Republicans have introduced legislation to mitigate the impace on their special interests, i.e. the Defense Dept. Thoroughly disgusted with our President and legislators from both parties.

SA