Federal ID cards

Simple. State IDs: driver license. include finger print, any hard to counterfeit measures. Coordinate thru fed service, national data bank. States already coordinate driver records for traffic ticket exchange. My traffic points "earned" in North Carolina show up on my Maryland record reeeaaal quick.

As a Census Job Test Examiner, I saw lots of driver licenses, both in and out of state. Even some out-of-country ones. Not that much different thruout the USA. Biggest difference being different forms of serial numbers. And that type of difference can be a good thing, another way to vouch the authentic.

I once saw a good looking license, from Connecticut, it read. Picture of the cute young lady presenting it, numbers, holographic seal, restrictions: "A1, D". I turned it over and there was a list of "restrictions": A type of vehicle: 1: Passenger car... B. Daytime use only C: Corrective eye lenses D: For Entertainment purposes and use only...

She did not take the test that day.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as long as the states follow a federal policy, its still ok. Eh? What if my state goes rogue and decides to issue IDs based on a less than federal standard? Is that OK? If all states are required to follow a federal standard, isn't that really the same as a federal ID?

States might follow the same standard for information gathering/reporting purposes, but that doesn't mean that they follow the same standards for the physical driver's license. When I first went to Utah in 2000, one of the first things I did was to get a driver's license. They printed it out on a printer right there, then picked up a little plastic sleeve, put the license inside, then heat sealed the sleeve shut. I was thinking to myself, "Wow, I could make one of these so easily." Now, Utah driver's licenses are better, but that still doesn't mean that everyone's driver's licenses are up to the same high standards.

GernBlansten, "Also, it is a federal thing. We are citizens of the US of A. Free to move about the country."

Gary_Miller: "But we are residents of our state therefore the state should issue the ID. "

Actually, you are a citizen of your state, not just a resident. And since your state is one of the "United States", then, by extension, you are also a citizen of the U.S.

Proof? Look at your voter's card. It is issued by your state, not the feds. And voting is the most basic of citizen rights. And remember there are no Federal elections, only state and lower.

So that's why states should issue any ID cards needed, and there is, imo, nothing wrong with them getting together and deciding on a consitant standard to be used by all 50, plus territories.

Maybe your STATE uses county issue. But that simply proves my point that it is not a federal document. Can't be, since there are no federal elections.

No, if the states get together and agree, it is not, by definition, a Federal standard, if the Federal (D. C.) government is not involved.

I don't look at my voter registration card as identification. Its more of a receipt. Proof that someone with my name registered to vote, that's about it. It really doesn't identify me or prove my identity. It proves that the person who's name is on the card is registered. Rather worthless when trying to prove identity.

But back to implanted RFID chips. Think of the benefits. With properly placed receivers, linked to a massive central database, one could easily be identified for criminal investigations. Or just as easily eliminated from suspicion. Missing persons would be a thing of the past. Skip tracers could easily find deadbeats, thus reducing loan costs for everyone. Infidel men could instantly be caught by their estranged wives, streamlining the divorce process.

Wow, Gern, you must have watched the movie! Do you remember the twist at the very end?

Anyway, many years ago when I was a deputy registrar, the process was totally run by the county and the database was confined to the county. Except for two county employees (part time) almost everyone involved were volunteers working out of our homes and autos. I never saw any 'state' presence other than the wording on the voter application with regard to qualifications (you know, like age, literacy, etc.)

Then another volunteer force ran the precincts. The people I met...the stories I could tell...

But that card would not, by itself, allow you to vote. You also had to be checked against the list of registered voters. Today, all you need is a DL or government ID.

While I did say in an earlier post that I did not view a Fed. ID card as an invasion of privacy, I feel that an implanted chip might cross that line. Despite the aforementioned benefits of such a device, why give a government the sense that you are just a piece of property, a pet, a tagged animal? Existing technology enables authorities to track much of your life anyway. An implanted chip just gives others more control of your life. Folks who appreciate a "nanny-state" might like the chip.

The only chips I like are the warm tortilla kind with jalapeo and cheese sauce.

"If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about"

WRONG!

If you aren't doing anything wrong, you SHOULDN'T have nothing to worry about.

SHOULDN'T being the key word.

With an embedded chip. everything would be great amongst all the honest folks.

But it stops there. You could have your identity stolen just by walking within distance of a reader.

Or I suppose a buncj of school kids in scienceclass as well as a bunch of scouts, scout leaders and scout p[arents could be "wiped out" if they make electromagnets.

And people can say what they want about "security and safety" but it something is made safe and secure, somebody is making something to get past it!

Who embeds the chip? Who sticks it in me> who programs the info?

Ever go to a hospital and see a pre op patient with NO written on part of their body? TheDr wrote it so he wouldn'yt accidentally work on the wrong arm, leg, lung, etc...

Suppose he implants the wrong chip or the info is wrong?

Ohyeah, when I vote, I walk up to an election offical who is sitting at a table. I state my name and address. They then look it up in stapled together booklet. They cross off my name ands give me uinstructions on how to use the latest greatest voting gizmo.

This year they stepped it up. I had to sign a piece of paper stating that I was indeed an honest to goodness US citizen. I swear on my momma's good name!

But still no id had to be shown. I have NO PROBLEM with having to show a picture id ton prove who I am to vote.

it IS NOT an invasion of my rights or privacy. Matter of fact, it enforces my rigfhts by (helping to) prevent voter fraud committed by a guy who knows who I am who could walk into my voter distric, state my name , and place my vote his way, then leave and do it again in another voter distric.

In this case, when it comes top proving who you are by picture id:

"If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about!"

:)

Resistance is futile.

The technology already exists and is implanted on millions of our pets.

Its a rather painless process of implanting a RFID chip in a microscopic thread near the carotid artery in the neck. Everyone has one of those. That would be the best location as unauthorized removal or tampering would risk certain death. Compliance would be mandatory.

Typical implantation will happen shortly after birth. There really needs to be nothing more than your unique ID number encoded. The rest of the information will be stored in the central database. Corrections to the database could be achieved by filling out a form. For those of us without implants, we could phase in the implantation. First and easiest would be bag and tag you at control points like airports, government facilities, sporting events. After phase 1 implantation, roles could be checked against the central database on who hasn't been tagged. They could voluntarily come in for tagging. After that grace period, the jack booted thugs will be dispatched to finish the job. I figure it would take a maximum of 2 years to fully tag the populace.

Really, it is the best way to go.

"If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about!"