A possible solution to the gay issue

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made my statement. Some may agree, some may not. That is fine. Bottom line, while I believe I have given proof as to why I think that the BSA policy is a just policy, I have always realized that not everyone will agree. However, I hope that it has made anyone who has read this thread to understand that there is a basis for the policy, beyond simply saying, "well, the BSA says so..."

There are many reason for and against the policy. The BSA has made and has been consistent in it's position. It has taken courage for the leadership of the organization to hold to this principle. Like it or not, this is the reality that the BSA espouses.

If one works for change, fine. That is one's perogative. I will not stand in the way of that, however, the burden of proof lies not on the BSA, but on those working for change to prove the BSA is unjust in it's actions. That is a tall order. Good luck.

I will not compromise my understanding of not only Faith, but also the policies of the BSA. Now, that does not mean that I am not willing to learn more about the policies of the BSA and if by learning that means that I adjust my position, then so be it. But education is never a compromise. It is an ehancement and growth of a truth that already exists.

Thanks to everyone for their time. I look forward to future contact on the boards.

camilam42

Thank you for your input. You may be one of the better writers this forum has seen in awhile in both substance and delivery. You actually articulated a description of policy better than the professional staff in Texas could probably do.

My two cents?

We're rushing this issue. Society needs to more critically examine homosexuality, before we rush to embrace it as acceptable behavior. Too much is unknown, and there are strong suggestions that it's a problematic action. And of course, it's clear there are religious injunctions against it.

BUT heck, in America, nobody ever wants to say "no" to anything for fear of being considered mean.

that's stating the obvious. No one misses that point. It IS debatable whether marriage is a right at all, let alone a right held by an INDIVIDUAL.

But let's rush to judgment on this! We've got enough wealth as a society that we can clean up the big subsequent messes.

According to this report, marriage is trending down anyway:

The Decline of Marriage And Rise of New Families

http://pewsocialtrends.org/2010/11/18/the-decline-of-marriage-and-rise-of-new-families

At one time I noted to my wife that our children had a good chance of finding mates from single parent homes. Now it looks like we're batting 1000. Oh well...evolution.

I've been thinking that the ones who stand to gain the most from gay marriages would be the divorce lawyers.

If the rate of divorce among gays is even half of what it is for hetros the market for their services would increase significantly.

You are right to some degree I guess, but the reason activist attacked traditional heteralsexual marriage was to dilute the image of a traditional family. They have been chiseling away at religious and traditional institutions that impede the general acceptance of homosexuality as immoral or abnormal. That is why the BSA was such a big target. As pack points out, traditional marriages are in decline.

This kind of goes along with the earlier discussion that homosexuality isnt so much the primary cause of the decline of morality in our culture as it is a major indicator of the growth or peaking of immorality. What next, a reality shows of polygamy?

Barry

What next, a reality shows of polygamy?

Folks in these threads on homosexuality often cite examples of same-sex couplings in other species.

It seems to me that "polygamy" of sorts is more the norm. One male mating with multiple females occurs in the mammal world quite a bit.

Maybe that's the normal and natural approach for us mammals as well. :p

Folks, the trend is AWAY from marriage, not toward even greater numbers of spouses. Maybe what Eagledad meant was 'promiscuity'. I mean...SHEESH..can you even imagine???? All that nagging and whining? I mean ol' Bear Claw had it right! ;)

Hi Vicki! :) :)

One of my past bosses was a Mormon. We traveled on business together alot. I really respected him and enjoyed his camaraderie. At one dinner, we discuss polygamy and I asked him, as a Mormon, what he thought of the issue.

He aptly stated, "Why on earth would you want more than one mother-in-law?"

I agreed thoroughly.

• 2 weeks later...

"or it could be the spirit of freedom and equality for all citizens"

Nope. Has nothing to do with freedom (unless you mean freedom of action) or equality for all citizens. This is not about who you are (as in race relations) but everything about what you do. It's 100% about accepting or not accepting certain behavior.