Aetheism in scouting vs other programs?

Ok so here's a thought. I have read a bunch of anti-scouting rhetoric in regards to atheism. It's all about how we're exclusionary and why does scouting think belief in God has to be there blah blah blah.

Yet there are other programs that require a belief in God. I know that people have been required by the court to attend a set number of AA classes after a DUI. Belief in a higher power is right there in the 12 steps. And that's a government mandated treatment, not some private club. Yet I've never heard one bit of protest by the atheists over the AA program.

"Yet I've never heard one bit of protest by the atheists over the AA program."

Well, maybe they just haven't got around to it yet. :)

In AA, the Higher Power is intentionally vague, and is defined by the member, so to speak. While I can't speak from an atheistic perspective, I think that a person with that view could feel comfortable with the AA program because a Higher Power doesn't necessarily have to be some supernatural deity. It is simply something greater than oneself that empowers the alcoholic to overcome his/her addiction.

One does not really "join" AA. There is no membership application. You can attend a meeting in one part of town in the morning, and a different one somewhere else that night. Maybe the only distinction would be between the "open" meeting where anyone can come, and the "closed" meeting which is exclusive to those who have taken the 1st step.

Rockford8070 writes:

I know that people have been required by the court to attend a set number of AA classes after a DUI.

This has been struck down by the courts in a number of cases.

Yet I've never heard one bit of protest by the atheists over the AA program.

You haven't looked. Google AA atheism and you'll find pages.

And once again skeptic, civil rights are important, even though you keep trying to trivialize the rights of atheists by babbling about it being "PC"-ness. Bite my "PC"-ness.

"AA does not require a belief in a high being to be member, its just part of their program. The BSA could learn a lot from them. "

On my honor, I will do my best

To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;

To help other people at all times;

To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.