Palins Alaska?

Virtue?

1- It's good to see family and hard work pushed as a virtue rather than instructions on how to collect un-employment for 99 weeks.

2- Is there any other celebrity or politician more virtuous?

Hard work?

1- Mother of five.

2- Written two books in two years.

3- Made an eight episode TV series at the same time.

4- All the while traveling extensively to endorse candidates, promote books and support Bristol on DWTS.

That makes me tired typing it all up!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I see Gern and sherm, et al, are back to the ad hominum attacks. No arguments of substance?"

I fail to see who I attacked. I pointed out that if past history is any guide, that whoever Palin picked as her running mate would have a significant influence on her candidacy. Bear in mind that she did resign as governor without finishing her term, and a precedent has been set. Now if you don't like to hear that, JoeBob, then by all means feel free to dismiss it as an "ad hominum attack," if that makes you feel better.

BTW, California begins with a "C," if you are any student of geography...

There's a pretty interesting movie that spells it with a 'K' in the title too. I missed that ad hominem thing but that's not unusual...I often miss stuff like that.

But back to Presidential qualifications: there ARE only two that I know of, one being that the candidate must be at least 35 years old. Outside of those two qualifications, we're free to elect the stupidest jerk we can find. So we can go find some tobacco-juice-drooling moron who didn't complete 5th grade (probably from my region) but who is 35 and can produce a birth certificate which satisfies the Tea Party, and that person too, could become President.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the Republican primaries (including the polls that are probably going to start in a few months, considering the Iowa caucuses are just over a year away!) if Sarah Palin does NOT run. It seems to me that she has attracted such a huge share of the attention for the past year that any other potential candidate has been unable to get anyone to listen to them. She has basically crowded out the field. That does not necessarily mean she will win the nomination, but who's going to beat her? I'm not sure how any of the other potential candidates are doing with fundraising, but I can't imagine that its very easy at this point. The tea-partiers seem to be in control of the Republican party right now (or at least, close to it), and it's difficult to see any of the also-rans from last time getting much traction with that group. Both Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee tried to be the "conservative candidate" last time as opposed to John McCain, and neither really caught on, to the point where the anti-McCain faction had to draft Fred Thompson to be the "conservative candidate", and he didn't catch on either. Am I forgetting anybody? Is there a credible potential candidate other than Palin who has a chance of getting the backing of the tea-partiers? What about Jim DeMint? I have heard a lot about him but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen him speak, so I don't know if he is the one galvanize the crowds. I think a lot of Republicans are unhappy with him because of the statement that I believe he made, something along the lines of he would rather the Republican Party be a purely conservative party and be in the minority in the Senate, than have the majority with the help of "moderates." I think a lot of Republicans (though maybe not a majority) realize that if that their party basically drums out everybody to the left of Sarah Palin, Jim DeMint and Michelle Bachman, they are not going to have much of a shot at winning the presidency next time.

By the way, as for her television show, I have not seen it and don't plan to, but it's nothing personal -- it just means that her show is one of the 99 percent of "reality shows" that I have no interest in watching. One exception is "Dirty Jobs", with Eagle Scout Mike Rowe -- and he's even done at least one episode in Alaska! Not to mention he is the narrator of "Deadliest Catch", which is filmed entirely in and around Alaska. Maybe he should run for president?(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

Other Republican candidates probably running - Haley Barbour and Tim Pawlenty. Chris Christie says he won't run, but that could change. Republicans need a governor to run, not a Senator, again. Jeb Bush might even get interested. My personal choice at this point would be Haley Barbour. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Marc Rubio end up in the VP slot.

"Watched "Palin's Alaska" yet?"

Yeah, I really enjoyed the failed attempt by Sarah to keep 16 year old Willow's hot to trot boy friend from sneaking upstairs. "NO BOYS UPSTAIRS" was shrieked from the other room. What a knee slapper as he jumped the child gate behind Sarah's back. She doesn't seem to get that rule enforced with any consistency. Enough said about that eh? Oh, its just fun. She's a doll. Much prettier than Hillary. I often wonder why the super moms of the conservative movement are so pretty? Aren't there any ugly/homely ones?

Brent,

I don't really know that much about Barbour and Pawlenty. I don't think the Republicans would dare nominate another Bush for president, at least not unless the economy gets much better. And if the economy does get much better in the next year or so (which probably isn't happening), it probably doesn't much matter who the Republicans nominate, and you would see potential Republican candidates heading for the exits in droves. As for Chris Christie, well, I do know quite a bit about him. Though I don't believe a lot of what he says, I do believe him when he says he's not running. It's one thing to say you're not running and then run, that happens all the time. It's another thing to also say what he said, which was "I don't think I'm ready to be president", and then run. Anybody in politics knows that if you say that and then run, you will hear about it every single day until the election. It's also kind of interesting because it implies that he thinks that someday he WILL be ready. Anyway, I could say more about Christie and why I think he is in the highest office he will ever hold, maybe another time.

One thing that will be interesting is when any of these guys do decide to run, what kind of skeletons are found hanging in their closets.

I realized that neither of us mentioned the one person besides Palin who is getting a lot of attention as a potential candidate, and that is Newt Gingrich. Speaking of skeletons in closets.

I'll pay money to see Newt and Sarah on the same ticket. I don't even care who's on top. If they could keep the platform off the social issues and focus on fiscal, immigration, and security concerns; shoo-in.

Light reading for those who think Sarah shuld run:

A Thanksgiving Message to All 57 States

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=463364218434

http://aconservativelesbian.com/2010/11/28/yes-prof-jacobson-palin-for-president-in-2012/

Of Course Sarah Palin's 'Unfit'; She's a Republican

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/elder111110.php3

And my favorite cartoon:

http://hillbuzz.org/2010/11/08/does-the-cocktail-party-gop-establishment-realize-it-cant-run-business-as-usual-anymore/

JoeBob

The last time I remember a candidate receiving such derision was Ronald Reagan. Obviously, there was not an internet as there is now but the media ridiculed Reagan much as they are doing to Sarah Palin. If the left does not wish Sarah Plain to be president, then they should ignore her. The left's withering, brutal, criticism and outright lies about Sarah Palin has made her into a celebrity. Had the left ignored her when the election was over and not filed the lawsuits, she would have served her time as governor of Alaska and been an unlikely candidate. The left has themselves to blame if she is the next president. It is doubtful that the media can compensate for Obama's incompetence and arrogance, so it unless the economy is vastly improved which is doubtful considering the enormous debt that Obama and the democrats have saddled the country. So keep ridiculing Sarah Palin as you have and don't be surprised when it is President Palin.

Actually, you can trace the problem back much farther than that. On September 26, 1960, Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy squared off in the first-ever televized presidential debate. This event forever altered how we select leaders in this country, and the quality of our leadership has steadily declined as a result.

Now we have potential presidential candidates entertaining us on TV. I find this sad, but not surprising.(This message has been edited by sherminator505)