Palins Alaska?

When rational and emotional arguments don't work, humorous sarcasm might be your only effective tactic.

Gern, your satire was excellent!

But you must have actually listened to a bit of what Palin has to say in order to be on target with your satire.

Doesn't it make you nervous?

;^)

JoeBob

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You betcha, also too. Listening to a Sarah speech gives me hours of entertainment, trying to find real solutions nestled between the conservative buzz phrases. I know she has them in there, its just real challenging to sift them out of the word salad. She's a riddle wrapped in a enigma. Keeps me mentally awake. Like sudoku.

Anyone who really thinks that Palin is a competent candidate for president shows a real lack of education and intelligence. I don't think that even the Republicans are that stupid, but you never know, lol. Actually I hope they do pick her to run against Obama it will be nice to see Obama get re-elected so easily and by such a huge margin.

Sarah isn't going to run. She just enjoys keeping the idea alive, which has all the liberals' and Democrats' skivies in a wad. She is like catnip to a cat - she absolutely drives liberals insane! I submit Gern as evidence. She doesn't mind making all that money, either.

I see Gern and sherm, et al, are back to the ad hominum attacks. No arguments of substance?

But I do love to see the Left wriggle so!

Palin's Alaska -

I got to see the third instalment tonight on TLC. It was the first chance I've had to actually sit down and watch an episode on the tube. It's a good program: educational, informative, entertaining, and thoroughly imbued with the character that we claim to advance in scouting.

You don't have to like Sarah Palin, but if you watch an entire episode and do not enjoy the program; then you probably should NOT be involved with scouting.

I know that's a strong statement, and I'll be happy to debate it with you. But you have to watch an episode first...

JoeBob

Yah, hmmm....

Now don't get this wrong, camilam, but perhaps a bit of healthy skepticism is in order, eh?

She is selflessly promoting Alaska when she really doesn't have to

I don't reckon after a moment of thought that "selflessly" is an adjective I'd use. I don't know what her compensation was for the series, but even with no compensation at all it's a heck of a self-promotion.

She is a VERY hard worker. I'd like to see any of you get on a fishing boat and do what she was doing

Yah, yeh don't really think she did it for very long, eh? It's a TV series. Yeh do that stuff for a few minutes while they're filming, then quit for a break. Have to so they can move the cameras around and shoot from different angles without seeing another camera. It's not the same as actually workin' a fishing boat.

Now, I do agree she is in truth an outdoor enthusiast and a decent example of a working mom.

As for those who simply want to rip her for "quitting" on Alaska, I'd say this....she stepped down for several reasons. First, she knew that she was going to have her personal life drug through the mud

Well, actually, the lawsuits and ethics inquiries all involved her public life, eh? And many were originated and pursued by honest, hard-working, family-values Republicans.

Truth is, from a personal financial perspective quitting was a good move for her, eh? Make hay while the sun shines. Why finish out a term as a public servant when instead yeh can become a millionaire celebrity? I'm not sure that's the example I want to hold up to young people, but yeh certainly can see the attraction. We compensate our entertainers a lot more than we compensate a governor.

B

Saw the show for the first time last night. Very entertaining but I notice that there is not a silent moment in the show. She's constantly chattering about this and that and after a while I had to turn the sound down.

More interesting was the Alaska State Troopers show and a Wild Justice show which follows California Fish and Game wardens.

I agree with Brent's assessment btw...

@ Beavah,

"I don't reckon after a moment of thought that "selflessly" is an adjective I'd use. I don't know what her compensation was for the series, but even with no compensation at all it's a heck of a self-promotion."

I don't know about that. I think that if you actually watch the show, she tries to make it about Alaska and how she inserts herself into the life of the State. She is a native and that she is willing to promote a State that most Americans don't know anything about, is pretty self-less. A lot more so than going on Arsenio Hall and playing the Saxaphone.

Plus, the times they are a changin'. This is how promotion is being done these days. It is forward thinking use of MSM to promote oneself. I don't begrudge her anything by taking advantage of the system that wants to dismantle her, piece by piece.

"Yah, yeh don't really think she did it for very long, eh? It's a TV series. Yeh do that stuff for a few minutes while they're filming, then quit for a break. Have to so they can move the cameras around and shoot from different angles without seeing another camera. It's not the same as actually workin' a fishing boat."

If you watched the show, she spoke about how she and her husband actually did do this years ago. While she was showing how the slimeline worked, she also spoke about how she had actually done it.

"Well, actually, the lawsuits and ethics inquiries all involved her public life, eh?"

It had cost the State of Alaska roughly $1.9 Million for legal costs, whereas it cost the State of Alaska $40k for her resignation. Pretty self explanatory, as to why she chose to resign on that particular part of the issue.

"Truth is, from a personal financial perspective quitting was a good move for her, eh?"

I don't necessarily agree with that. I mean look at the winfall for the Clinton's and Whitewater....that was a pretty good winfall for them....well until it failed....right? She could have chosen to be unethical in her activity, but she chose not to.

I find it to be courageous to stand up in front of your constituents and say "I can't do it." It would have been easier to jet-set around and be unethical, but she chose a different route, especially when she knew she wasn't going to seek another term.

BTW, the FBI has categorically denied any investigations.

"I'm not sure that's the example I want to hold up to young people, but yeh certainly can see the attraction."

I'd rather hold her as an example, as opposed to former governors of the likes of Jesse Ventura, Bill Clinton, Jennifer Granholm, and the like.

I'm just sayin'.

she is willing to promote a State that most Americans don't know anything about, is pretty self-less

She is getting paid. Hey, I'd happily do a show to promote any state yeh want if I can get paid that well for it. I expect most of us would. But I wouldn't call it "selfless."

she spoke about how she and her husband actually did do this years ago.

Yah, sure, for a bit. That's not quite the same thing as being a "hard worker" as a fisherman. I do think she's been an unusually hard worker as a celebrity. ;)

I'm not claimin' Mrs. Palin is a bad person, eh? I just don't quite buy into an overstatement of her virtues.

She got out of public service and made a lot of money. Nuthin' unusual about that. All kinds of politicians make a lot of money on da circuit after they leave office, or sell themselves to special interests as consultants and whatnot.

The only thing that was unusual is that she quit her elected public service job early to go do that.

The legal costs to Alaska of course continued after she left. And I see that her protege Joe Miller is now taking a lot of out-of-state money to sue the state of Alaska and cost Alaskans even more, but Mrs. Palin is still in his corner.

She's an ordinary MSM celebrity and special interest shill. She's just shilling for other interests than liberal celebrities. There's nothing wrong with that, yeh can make good money at it.

Just best not to mistake it for unusual virtue.

B(This message has been edited by Beavah)

I really don't know Ms. Palin so I can't comment on her virtue. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting paid to be in an entertainment show. She certainly has camera presence.

I among those that don't believe she's qualified to be President, but I think there is a realistic possibility she could be the Republican nominee. She has a real possibility of winning in Iowa, NH and South Carlina. In those small states where enthusiatic support from a significant portion of the Republican electorate, plus some Democratic crossover votes could easily give her wins in the initial caucus and primaries. With that momentum, she might just pull off the nomination.

As Brent and Beavah noted, I think she likes the attention but she'd get that much more with those three wins. All Presidential candidates have ego's and ambition. I don't think she's any different. It will be hard to say no to a run, when a lot of people around her are going to tell her to run and that she can win and I think she's a better than even chance of getting the Republican nomination. The general election is a different story. But as Yogi said, "It over til it's over." It's only 2010.

I saw recently Donald Trump was thinking about running as well. Pretty amazing statespeople we're comming up with as prospective leaders.

SA