Are Taoist boys allowed to join BSA?

LIBob, I am not trying to imply you made any arguments about Taoists, just saying that Merlyn qouted parts of your original post, but trid to pass them off as something that BSA said instead of being part of your original post.

Merlyn, Find the exact words where LIBob mentioned 1 single Taosit as an athiest.

And yeah, I could google athiest taoist, but we are not talking googling. we are talking about the people that LiBob mentioned in his post. I could easily google anything, but the arguement is about LIBob's post.

So yeah, I can read just fine. But "reading implies" looking at what was typed, not what YOU thought it might mean or what any of us could google.

Now if you could read...you would see that LIBob did not mention athiests at all.

I bet BSA won't allow athiests from Saturn either, but who thought they would?

Hate to say it Merlyn, but you brought up something that wasn't being discussed, or broached at all. Matter of fact, you brought up a non issue.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LIBob,

You must excuse Merlyn. From what he has said in the past, he is not and has not been a scouter. He has considerable contempt for the BSA and has participated in efforts for scouting programs to lose access to public facilities even though he is not a member of the community affected. He portrays himself as authoritative on these issues but he has no real experience as a scouter and does not know. Scouting requires a belief in a higher power. That higher power could be defined in many ways so from my experiences as a scout and a 20 year scouter, a Taoist would not have an issue.

Merlyn, you are losing all argumentive credibility:

"But you're ignoring that bit about "no entity in the Western sense of God can possibly exist." "

No, I'm not ignoring it. But you are ignoring that LIBob SAID THAT, NOT BSA.

LIBob could say "Taoists who have only 9 fingers are banned from BSA"...and you can qoute it every post you make...but it would still be only LIBob's statement, not BSA.

Come on man...pay attention to WHO you are quoting when you quote the phrase: "no entity in the Western sense of God can possibly exist."

No matter how tou spin it or twist it, it still isn't a BSA statemnt or policy, nor is it in the DRP

Scoutfish lies:

LIBob, I am not trying to imply you made any arguments about Taoists, just saying that Merlyn qouted parts of your original post, but trid to pass them off as something that BSA said instead of being part of your original post.

What!?

I did no such thing. You can't READ.

Here's a statement:

Taoists who are also atheists don't meet the BSA's religious requirements.

I'll argue with anyone who disagrees with that statement.

PS:

No, I'm not ignoring it. But you are ignoring that LIBob SAID THAT, NOT BSA.

I never SAID the BSA said that.

(This message has been edited by Merlyn_LeRoy)

Scoutfish:

Taosits allow a wide kaliedescope of views on theism. One Taosit will tell you "we believe in one God." The next beleives in a trinity, the third belives in a pantheon, the foruth believes that strictly speaking ther is no god in the wesern sense.

All who recognize "the Way" are welcome.

Merlyn:

So let me get this straight.

You are not a scout now, you are not a scouter now.

You have never been a boy scout.

You have not been a scout or scouter in any status for half a century.

But

- you have "googled up some stuff" tha tays "scouting in discriminatory."

- you have no idea if those "facts" are true or only as true as "donkeys cannot sleep in bath tubs" in Louisiana.

- Since some of the BSA leadership is rom Texas, and some of teh BSA leadership are Mormons (and it is . . . well remotely possible that 80% of BSA leadership are tofu eating survivlaist hippies . . .

then

- you have decided based on your experiences a half century ago that you want to make it your hobby to convince scouters on this forum that scouting is a 100% discriminatory, 100% Texas/LDS organization.

Hmmm ASSUMING the above is all true (and that is an assumption)I'm going to make two suggestions.

Suggestion 1.

You make GREAT and powerful philosophical arguments. Keep them for the philosophical threads. Keep those ideas off "facts on the ground" threads because your "facts on the ground" knowledge is all a half century old (and given that you and your mother are atheists . . . well "scouting hates atheists" does not mesh well with your experience either.)

Suggestion 2.

Challenging scouters on the internet, and trying to convince them, that scouting is dominated by extremist right wingers, does not sound like a healthy hobby to me. Perhaps you should take up an "outing" hobby like fishing or hiking, or camping, or backpacking.

I dunno. You seem like a really smart guy, (maybe even smarter than me), but when 100% of active scouters on this thread say "Taoists are welcome," and you use lot of savvy to imply but not say "Taoists are not welcome" . . . maybe its time for you go camping.

JMHO

What? What is that noise? Do I hear tap dancing? Merlyn, are you dancing around your arguement?

You came in here trying to tell LIBob that Taoists would not be welcome, then saying that BSA and it's members woulds notb allow them - EVEN though every BSA AFFILIATED scouter in here opened their arms. Then you tried to define what a Taoists was and believed to LIBob who pretty much could be considered the leading authority (at least in the sense we are arguing here amongst us and our experience with Taoists comp[ared to his relationships with them)on Taoism as far as we are concerned.

Then you back pedal and tap dance by saying "athiest Taoists". But let's get real, that'slike saying "athiest Mormons " or Athiest Catholics"...It just doesn't work!

I lie? Nah, you keep pulling out references to Wester sense of God every time you make an arguement of BSA policy. You keep saying how BSA would not accept them, yet every BSA member is opening thier arms and saying "Come on in!"

So why do you say that I am wrong about accepting Taoists when I - a registerd BSA member in good standing , and a scouter - am welcoming them?

Liar? Uh-uh, I don't think so!

LIBob writes:

Merlyn:

So let me get this straight.

You are not a scout now, you are not a scouter now.

You have never been a boy scout.

You have not been a scout or scouter in any status for half a century.

I was a cub scout about 43 years ago, otherwise correct.

But

- you have "googled up some stuff" tha tays "scouting in discriminatory."

No, I've been following the BSA's well-established religious discrimination for quite a while, over a decade.

- you have no idea if those "facts" are true or only as true as "donkeys cannot sleep in bath tubs" in Louisiana.

Wrong. The BSA's religious discrimination is widely reported in the media, and on their own websites.

- Since some of the BSA leadership is rom Texas, and some of teh BSA leadership are Mormons (and it is . . . well remotely possible that 80% of BSA leadership are tofu eating survivlaist hippies . . .

then

- you have decided based on your experiences a half century ago that you want to make it your hobby to convince scouters on this forum that scouting is a 100% discriminatory, 100% Texas/LDS organization.

Wrong. It appears you can't read, either. For one thing, I've never mentioned Texas, Mormons, or the LDS in this thread at all. And a half century ago I was 3. Would you like to make up more "facts" or are you through?

Here's my statement again:

Taoists who are also atheists don't meet the BSA's religious requirements.

You seemed to be concerned about Taoists joining the BSA. What I'm saying is that Taoists who are also atheists don't meet the BSA's religious requirements.

when 100% of active scouters on this thread say "Taoists are welcome," and you use lot of savvy to imply but not say "Taoists are not welcome"

Because nobody here (other than me) seems to be considering what happens to Taoists who are also atheists.

Taoists who are also atheists are NOT welcome. Anyone who can read English should realize I'm not implying anything like "Taoists are not welcome"; if I wanted to state that Taoists aren't welcome, I'd write "Taoists aren't welcome."

But I'm not. I'm writing "Taoists who are also atheists are NOT welcome."

Scoutfish babbles:

You came in here trying to tell LIBob that Taoists would not be welcome

Sorry, you STILL CANNOT READ.

Taoists WHO ARE ALSO ATHEISTS are not welcome.

LIBob,

You know what's funny?

I know some "deeply religious" folks who crack on Bhuddists and other religions because they have more than one god. Yet these people theselves have never even cracked a book or took time to talk to anybody from those religions.

These fine folks say that it's blasphemous to worship more than one god, then turn around and talk about praying to not only God and Jesus, but to joseph, Mary, The pope, Moses, St. Christopher,St. this and St.that too. We talk about the "Father, son,spirit and holy ghost( which comes out to 4 in others eyes...just saying).

So what is to say that the other religions are not doing the same? Their saints and holy figures? We have God himself, and argue over his true name. God is almighty, yet sensd angels and archangels to do his work.

No, I'm not blasting or making fun of any "western sense of God" but just pointing out how funny it is that we find fault with others religions, yet ours may look identivcal in set up to theirs in their eyes.

Westerners may quite possibly and reasonably looked upon hippocrits to other religions...and I can't really say I blame them for that.

I am religious. I have my beliefs, but man has screwed up organized religion and made it a political /power control thing.

But that's just my opinion.

Merlyn, you are full of it!

Any scout and scouter knows that avowed athiest cannot join. Big suprise their.

But in your original post to LIBob, you did not say that, Nope! You defined Taoists as athiesta nd said they would not be welcome under the DRP. No, I'm not quoting you, just recapping your arguement. You did not specify at that time ONLY athiest Taoists.

I guess you didn't because it would have been a moot point. Athiest anybody is covered in BSA...which you claim is "The BSA's religious discrimination is widely reported in the media, and on their own websites" ( which by the way blows holes in other threads where you claim BSA is hiding this and lying - since it is on their own website! :o and widely reported in the media! :p )

So, yes we can read the WRITEN word.

But in the end..every scouter who replied on this thread said Taoists are welcome! You can try to change that all you want, but will fail!

We are BSA and we have spoken. We have said welcome!

PERIOD!

Scoutfish writes:

Any scout and scouter knows that avowed athiest cannot join. Big suprise their.

Or even "there."

And this means a Taoist WHO IS ALSO AN ATHEIST cannot join.

Right?

But in your original post to LIBob, you did not say that, Nope! You defined Taoists as athiesta nd said they would not be welcome under the DRP. No, I'm not quoting you, just recapping your arguement

I didn't say that. You can't read, your spelling isn't good, and your typing appears to be degenerating.