Are Taoist boys allowed to join BSA?

vol_scouter, I'm intolerant towards the BSA because the BSA denigrates atheists, and still continues to illegally charter some of their units to government entities. You I don't like personally, because you lied about me in an attempt to smear me.

I'll change my attitude towards the BSA when the BSA stops denigrating and excluding atheists, not before. I don't consider it bigoted to be against an organization that denigrates a class of people.

Gern, you're correct in that BSA officials have said that atheist boys can't join. The idea that only atheists obnoxious enough to state that they're atheists are kept out is a false one to put a better face on the BSA's religious requirements.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Court cases arise only when there's an intractable dispute, Gern. They are by nature disputatious and adversarial. Yeh can never use a court case to describe the real operational character of any organization or business for that reason, any more than you should judge a person's normal behavior or character by the times when they are most stressed or put upon.

Just da nature of the beast.

B

Dale Case? The gay guy?

OK, here is what you wrote "The idea that only ""atheists"" obnoxious enough to state that they're ""atheists"" are kept out is a false one to put a better face on the BSA's religious requirements."

I will just assume that you are probably a busy activist working several forums and got confused, so here is the question asked so that you only have to respond quickly with one word.

Do you know of an application the BSA knowingly accepted with the "atheist" box checked?

Barry

A one-word answer to a trick question? There is no "atheist" box to check.

Did you not understand my example? Suppose a BSA member, who hasn't said he's an atheist, appears in a school newspaper story as a member of a school atheist club.

There's an example of someone who hasn't stated he's an atheist. Which is what you asked for, as far as I can tell.

James Dale didn't say he was gay to someone in his troop, he was in a college newspaper story as one of the heads of a gay group.

So since you have to refer to gays to get the final word on the atheist question, it's safe to say you don't know of any athiest who was accepted into the BSA after admitting they were an atheist on their application.

So its final, Beavah explination of the real world reality stands.

Barry

Beavah, what is BSA's official stance on atheist scouts?

Their policy, not the actions of some units downstream from the national offices.

I believe it is to exclude them. Now we all know that in practice, most line level units don't do that. That's the local option. It just isn't BSA policy.

Eagledad, you're familiar with analogies?

James Dale never stated he was gay, yet he was kicked out.

You had asked "How could that not be true? How would anyone know otherwise?" and I gave you one, using Dale as an example of how people can be kicked out without announcing anything.

Apparently, your questions weren't genuine.

All my questions are genuine, your just not use to folks who think in learning and educating. I also do have a complex about getting the last word. But I must admit, I still don't see your point. So, FOR MY EDUCATION let me ask:

Is James Dale gay?

Let us not forget that reality in most, if not all, the court cases has been "adults", mostly without real Scouting connections, suing for personal reasons. Example: Randall twins were happy as larks until "Dad", publicity seeking lawyer type, decided to make an issue. I have found it interesting that when one of the twins was interviewed about it as a cub and asked how he explained things such as the wonders of the outdoors; he stated that "Mother Nature" was responsible. Uhhhh; isn't she a Goddess representation? So, youth ae far more malleable, and are in continuous rebooting stages as they develop.

In the "real world", black and white seldom are reached; there is generally a shading one way or the other.

Eagledad, you didn't appear to know of any way for someone to be known as an atheist without them saying they're an atheist. I showed you how that was possible, using an analogy with how Dale got kicked out the BSA without him stating he was gay.

Now, I don't know of any cases where something like this has happened with an atheist member of the BSA, but you didn't ask for an actual case, you opined on how it could even be possible. So I came up with a plausible scenario.