Trevorum, is that bitterness I detect? Regret? Indignance? Wishful thinking?

Let's make this a more complete story. To Calico or anyone who advocates that idea about scouting being an agent of social change: Please provide more detail. What was the overall context of life 100 years ago when the scouting movement and BSA were supposed to be agents of social change? Specifically what was supposed to be changed by scouting? What was the situation that BSA was supposed to correct or improve? Child labor? Education? Public Health? Poverty? Social justice? How would scouting achieve these social changes? Was there anything explicit in scouting about what changes were expected?

What possible motivations could there have been to resist or stop the kinds of changes that the scouting movement and BSA were supposed to bring? Who would oppose those kinds of changes and why?

Just curious.

OK, to continue along this line, on the assumption that at least at first, before the 'Barbarians' took scouting over, BSA had some success at achieving these changes. What were the changes? When did they occur? When did the 'Barbarians' stop the changes? Why did people allow them to?

Keep in mind that a 'null' hypothesis would predict that regardless of intentions, scouting and BSA had no real influence on any kind of social change. To reject the null, there must be good, documented evidence to support that rejection. In this case it is not good enough for there to have been intentions. If those intentions had no means to be effective then it really doesn't matter that 'Barbarians' took over. There is no scouting influence on social change either way.

Don't get me wrong. I really hope you guys can answer these things. But lately I've become fond of the null. It seems to be correct more often than not.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then, with that line of reasoning, it would seem that a "null" hypothesis would predict that regardless of any historical evidence, circumstantial or not, placed before you, there would be no influence upon your thinking, therefore the "null" will continue to hold sway.

I think I'll skip that game.

Try me. I'm always available to actual evidence. I'm not in love with the null, I just find it still standing more often.

But with regard to intentions, if that is all there ever was, then you're right. Might as well pass on it.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Pack,

I should have been clearer - by "you", I meant the royal "you" meaning pretty much anyone. I don't think it matters what the subject is, once the "null" hypothesis is brought into play, there is no point attempting to disprove the "null".

Sorry if that seemed directed specifically to you.

BTW - you're cute - want to spend time in my tent? (stated with a very wide and mischevious grin).

An update:

Last weekend the boy received his Eagle rank at the ECOH. He did a nice thank you presentation and called me up at the end to present me his mentor pin. (Yes, I'm the one that held him back for 6 months because he screwed up, and he did mention the SM was a bit zealous in his expectations at times.) He then thanked me for everything I had done to challenge him and help him grow in maturity and confidence and that he had changed his mind and would not be quitting but accepted my offer of JASM and will be continuing to work with the troop.

Afterwards we had a little visit and he's got one more MB for his Bronze palm and he's making plans for the Silver and Gold as well.

I'm thinking that somewhere along the way I may have done something right with this situation, it seems to be working out pretty well.

Stosh