Ok...you want an example....how about segregation?

When the call goes out for help for Eagle projects, our troop will jump in with 10 or 15 boys + parents...no problem. We don't ask church affilations...

But when one of our Eagle projects come up...not one LDS affliated Scout shows. Ever.

That segregation permeates the entire community at every level. LDS members never support local school fundraisers...(I know that from personal experience many times.) LDS members won't even by GS cookies...the excuse I was given was that GSA is sponsored by Planned Parenthood so GSA is pro-abortion....that being told to a 6 year old and an adult.

QED

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta a chuckle at Roundtable last week. We were talking about Fall Recruiting and getting 6 year old 1st grade tigers. A Very Young Cubmaster from a LDS Pack came over and told us we had no idea what we were talking about a 6 year old couldn't possibly be a cub scout. I ask him, Since I have no clue what I am doing what age are boys allowed to join Cub Scouts. He responded 8 and no wonder my pack was so big ignoring the rules.

hmmmm, Later on I got in trouble with the same CM when we were talking about first year Webelos crossing over at 10 1/2. You guessed it I was wrong again. According to him Webelos cannot join boy scouts till 12.

I understand there are differences in the way the program is provided, I was surprised how intolerant and condescending his tone was with the group of us. His exiting comment was that we shouldn't be leaders since we didn't understand the program. WOW

How he delivers his program is of no worry to me?

I was amazed at his intolerance and contempt. I am used to going to round table and enjoying the scouters company and chewing the fat at whats going on. Hearing about trips and outings and getting ideas for our organization. Who cares?????

Engineer61, "Ok...you want an example....how about segregation?"

Now that is way to funny. However, as a long time member of the LDS church I can see how someone could perceive this happening. As members of the church do tend to stick to their own. But this is not because of segregation it only because of their comfort zone.

Engineer61, "When the call goes out for help for Eagle projects, our troop will jump in with 10 or 15 boys + parents...no problem. We don't ask church affilations...

But when one of our Eagle projects come up...not one LDS affliated Scout shows. Ever."

Good example. And as a church member I find it sad that this happens. As a LDS scouter I know how and why it happens, lack of lack of understanding the program due to leaders not knowing the program.

Now if the boy who was doing the project contacted some of he LDS scout buddies personally my guess is they would be there.

Engineer61,"That segregation permeates the entire community at every level."

This I find hard to believe. Wither one supports a community activity is a personal choice, and my guess is that many are LDS. You just don't know it. Heck I don't even know every LDS member who lives in my town.

Engineer61, "LDS members never support local school fundraisers...(I know that from personal experience many times.)"

See above.

Engineer61,"LDS members won't even by GS cookies...the excuse I was given was that GSA is sponsored by Planned Parenthood so GSA is pro-abortion....that being told to a 6 year old and an adult."

Individual choice. No direction from the church on this. And just so you know. I buy GS cookies from every girl scout who asks me.

Basementdweller here is the answer "A Very Young Cubmaster from a LDS Pack". My guess this individual has not yet been to training, has not read his BSA handbook. And from this comment "According to him Webelos cannot join boy scouts till 12." has not read his LDS scouting handbook. So therefore he does not know the program.

What would of been helpful was for you as an experienced scouter to ex-plane to him the difference in how different COs put the CS program on. You missed a perfectly good teaching moment, and maybe you could of had a new friend.

Of course I understand that sometimes we have our own groups, and we tend to be a bit clickish at times. So instead of helping the new scout leader we just blow the off as being "intolerant and condescending".

He had a trained Patch on his shirt sleeve. So he was trained

Got absolutely nothing to do with Clic's. I see these folks once a month maybe, so I don't even really know them, we were ALL chatting while sitting at a couple of card folding tables just when the meeting broke into Scouts and Cubs. Young man could have joined in and chatted instead of spouting off.

So no good old boy thing going on, so get over it.

For the record, they changed the meeting Day and Location for the LDS contingent. Not hate'n just say'n. Of course now it interferes with things going on at my church.

Cough cough, Our Pack is larger than the entire LDS head count in the District.

(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

Gary, accepting Basemenst version is indeed true, I have to completely side with Basement in saying that there was no cliqueishness going on.

The only thing I see is rudeness, arrogance and the over cofidence of being young.

From my experience with dealing with people who have this attitude, Basement could have brought out boks and guides all day long to no avail in convincing this CM that he was wrong.

Funny that you say that an LDS Scouter did not know about the Tiger program, when it was PILOTED in the LDS Units of National Capital Area Council back in the 80s ... (actually, Tiger and Varsity were piloted at the same time). I was a UC for several LDS Wards back then. (Yes, a non-LDS UC for LDS units.)

GernBlansten, "How about the threat that the LDS would remove all their units if the BSA allowed non-LDS units to set their own criteria for adult membership."

Myth, and personal opinion from people not in the know.

I don't think anyone will can find anything coming out of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints headquarters in Salt Lake City.

GernBlansten, "units to set their own criteria for adult membership."

Last I looked units can already set their own criteria for adult membership. All they have to do is follow the BSA guidelines.

Uz2bnowl, you resurrected this thread but I can't make heads or tails what you are saying in your post. Sorry for my ignorance.

Basement, I know people like the guy you mention. Serious personality issue in my opinion. But then I just don't like know-it-alls who really don't know anything but think their loudness proves their case.

Re: segregated situation. I see it too. It is not by design, or intended by the Church. All we can do is try to overcome it. I recently went to the funeral of an LDS scouter known well in the council and there was a large contingent of scouts present - at least half non-LDS. Less than a month later I went to the funeral of a non-LDS scouter, also with a large contingent, and I was the only LDS guy there. So yes, I see it, and others see it.

I have a lot of respect for our non-LDS scouters and am pretty impressed that they haven't turned their backs on us.

Germ, the threat that the LDS scouts would go independent? You must be watching too much football :)