LDS BSA Relationship

Again, too many people beying at shadows and grinding axes. While there may be a bit of tilt towards LDS pressure, there does not seem to be that much in our area, or the ones in which I was involved earlier. They are still held to the same requirements on district and council levels, other than accommodating their camping schedules.

Just like Scientology, Catholicism, or other examples, there are people who have issues with them; and you will not convince them of anything positive, no matter what you say. They already have their minds set. Sort of like one of our favorite "debaters" here on this forum.

As always, just my own views and observations.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGE, I think my response belongs here so I don't clutter the issue on the other thread.

I appreciate your comments, and found many others to be helpful - even some of the negative ones. What doesn't help the discussion is the other people who post drivel about not liking LDS units or the Church itself. Too much of that drives us LDS away from the discussion, which may be the goal of some anyway.

In reading this thread I've noticed it has been stated a few times that all eligible boys in a ward are registered in the Scout unit and that the practice tends to overstate membership numbers. I can't help but wonder if that is the genesis of National Council's current definition of active.

EV,

Very good point. Now I admit I do not like the current definition of active per the Advancement manual, I prefer the one in the Bylaws much better. But that is the policy we have to follow.

I have a serious issue with "ghost scouts" and "ghost units" b/c they do hurt scouting, both in everyday affairs and in the long term public image. Been there, done that, tried to solve the problem.

This is just like one big Roundtable and it has the Pro's and Cons of any Roundtable. We come from all over the country, we have a myriad of experiences and some common ones as well. If you think the LDS has been bashed a little, well, they are not the only ones. As far as I remember the Catholic Church has had/has its time in the barrel frequently as well. Would it be nice if everyone got along, yes it would, but heck, reality bites.

If there was a physical roundtable and there was a unit that was clouded in rumors and legends and statements that they ran the District, they controlled everything but rarely were ever seen there may be some animosity towards them. Then, if a representative of that unit showed up at the roundtable, and asked why there was animosity, that person may get an earful. I could see that person never wanting to return because "those people are just so rude" and if that person never came back there would be those from the Roundtable that would say, "See, told you they were secretive, I gave him a piece of my mind and they havent been back so I was right"

So, all that happened was both sides just feel justified in their opinions. WoodBadge teaches us that the phases of a team are Forming, Storming, Norming and Performing. The good news is, we are at the Storming Phase, the bad news is we are at the Storming Phase. If we all hang in there, there will be movement to the last two phases

PS

There will be of course those who will endeavor to obscure communication and try to demean but with observation you will determine who those elements are and its up to you to ignore them. Or duel with them, its up to you but don't expect much attitude change. Sorta like real life :)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Yes, thank you for clarifying.

And I appreciate the others at this virtual RT for their feedback.

For too long there has been too little activity between our local LDS units and the council. Both groups are bending over backwards to work with each other. There has been some success that hopefully can be parlayed into a stronger program for all. When we are helping sponsor some camporees and other units are coming over to share LNT, I would suggest that is an improvement.

The relationship isn't perfect yet, but we're sure working on it.

I would like to add my two cents, based on experience in our district. Our troop is chartered by the Knights of Columbus, but is not comprised of all Catholic boys and parents. When my son was active we had a Scout join our troop from one of the LDS troops in the town because as his Dad told me there were not enough activities and opportunities for him to advance. This young man completed his Eagle rank in our troop and is now on a mission. His parents were two of the most supportive parents to him and to Scouting in general that I ever ran into. His former troop lost a fine young man and we gained one. This particular troop puts on merit badge factories once in a while. They are the only ones in the district that does this.