$19,000 Good Deed?

Back in September the City of Pittsburgh hosted the G20 Summit.

The city is waiting to get reimbursed for the money it paid out for the cost of extra police along with a long list of other expenses.

Greater Pittsburgh Scout Council has already received $19,000 for providing accommodations for some of the extra police that were brought in.

Not exactly sure how I feel about this?

Part of me seems to think this is a long way from the idea of us doing a good turn.

Part of me thinks that if the money is there and can be used to benefit our Scouts? We should be happy to take it.

Was taking the money the right thing to do?

Ea.

Good question. Yep we are suppose to do our good deed for the day, refusing to be compensated for our services. After all that Lone Scout in London sure did the BSA a very good deed by refusing a tip.

On the other hand, Scouts are suppose to be self supporting, earning the money to pay their own way. Trying to teach that to Oldest with him buying his own uniform and book(s).

Also what needs to be considered was what expenses were involved? Was food involved? How about the usage of the camp properties, i.e. electricity, water, gas, etc.

I don't know if I would call the actions of the Council a "Good Deed". It seems it was more a business opportunity. If on the other hand, the additional police officers were to pay for their lodging out of pocket, then I would call it a Good Deed and not take reimbursement.

I think I would call this a fundraising event, not a good deed.

Lots of troops help out with various civic events in exchange for (usually smaller) donations. I don't see this as being much different than that. I am supposing that this was planned, and not last minute? I might feel differently, if the police, upon arriving, unexpectedly discovered that their housing plans had fallen through, they had no place to stay, and were suddenly dependent on the mercy of strangers to take them in.

Well personally "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers" but it depends on what arrangements were made as well. A scout is Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, et al but that does not make him a pushover either.

If there was to be a payment of services rendered, then the expenses should be compensated. It it was agreed this would be "pro bono" then it does not get compensated.

Just as we shoud not expect to get free services from Governmental Units, Governmental units shoudl not expect to get free services from us

It was not an emergency. There were no lives saved. There was no rubble to clear away. This was planned (?weeks? months?) ahead. The tents/ cabins/cots would have been empty otherwise. The city saw the conference as good PR, economy raising for the caterers and hospitality folks involved. A "good faith" donation. Accept the money and buy a new sewage pump for Heritage. Repaint the Ranger's house.

Two related comments. Over the long time I have been associated with our troop, I have had a number of individuals approach me for "service" by our troop at various events that were some sort of money raising activity for a club or other group; they sometimes said they would give us a "donation" afterwards. Most of these seemed to me simply an attempt to get the services free, or for little expense, rather than real "service", as the effort would have been like paying someone a dollar an hour or less; and I politely turned them down.

A few years back, the huge "Day Fire" happened in the Los Padres Forest in Southern California. One major front was on the Ventura, Kern, L.A. counties border in the area of Lockwood Valley. The Forest Service used our scout camp as a base, and our reservoir as a water source for helicopters. The ranger, his wife, and a few available scouters helped coordinate things, and made sure the kitchen and other facilities were serviceable, as well as equipment on site. They paid for their food, and brought in most of their supplies, but we certainly did not charge them for the facility use, even though it meant the camp was closed to scout use for close to six weeks. That is service as it should be. I can also guarantee you that it enhanced the BSA standing in the eyes of the fire fighters and related services.

I will guarantee you one of the reasons the city used to justify its hosting of the conference was the economic benefit the influx of visitors it would bring. Consider the $19,000 your cut.

Would you feel differently if CNN, Green Peace or the Tri-Lateral Commission had rented out the facility for their folks? Our council regularly rents our facilities for various corporate functions. We even charge out-of-council scout groups a buck or two for camping.

I'd be more concerned that the $19,000 is well spent rather than where it came from.