A Scouter pervert in the news

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. The media loves this stuff. Must have been a shortage of priest stories lately.

But seriously, I'm confused about... "is facing statutory sodomy charges for allegedly having sex with children."

Surely the sex with children is enough of a charge. And pretty absolute in my mind.

While I personally find it distasteful, I understand some perfectly normal heterosexual people practice sodomy. Why is that part of the charge? Is there something about US law I don't understand?

The laws are different in each state concerning sodomy. For this particular charge it appears they chose an ordinance to hang on this guy that had a level of specificity. He alledgedly do not simply touch or molest a child, but possibly engaged in a specific sex act.

We often see "sodomy" (which I think in some states is defined as anal and/or oral sex) attached to charges of rape as well.

No, the sex-police don't check to see what hetro or homo couples are doing in the privacy of their own homes.

Every once in a while do a google news search for "Boy Scouts".

You will find that most of the time the vast majority of the news stories across our nation are very positive on Boy Scouts. Yes, there are stories on the failings of some idiot somewhere, but the other 95% of stories describe Scouts who are doing great things for their communities.

Yea, the negative is out there, but so is a lot of positive!

He is married and a father. He's charged with multiple counts of having sex with, at this time, 3 boys - ages 12 to 17, in multiple jurisdictions. Now that he's been arrested, I would not be surprised in the least if more victims come forward. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the victims are or were Scouts.

In Missouri, the sodomy law covers certain acts if they are non-consensual or are with a minor. If the victim is an adult, the charge is sodomy. If the victim is a minor, the charge is statutory sodomy.

I've said this in the past - the Boy Scouts is a hook for the news media - good or bad. There is an image of the Boy Scouts in popular lore - when that image gets pricked, you can bet the news media will mention the Boy Scout angle, if not lead with it. Consider this - the man arrested in Missouri was the captain of his town's police force - he was the top cop (equivalent to a Chief of Police), yet the first articles that came out were Boy Scout leader, who also happened to be the top cop in town, arrested. If he wasn't a Boy Scout leader, it just would have been a story about a cop arrested. He's blown away the image of a Boy Scout leader - and that is news to the media. When the BTK killer in Kansas City was finally arrested, there were a few headlines that essentially said Cub Scout leader accused in BTK killings. When Matthew Shepards killers were arrested, there were some headlines that essentially read Eagle Scout accused of killing Matthew Shepard. Why? Because it's a hook. I just try not to take offense - it's just the media being the media - and all we can really do is say that there are creeps and idiots everywhere.

Well, the more charges you have, the more you get charged with. Yeah, that sounds both obvuious and redundant, but make sense.

What happens to s parson charged with rape? They get ( for example only) 20 years. That is actually 11 years after considering things like parole, probation, reduced sentances and deals, not to mention things like time off for good behavior after finding Jesus in prison.

So 11 years seems like we might as well shake his hand, pat him on the back and give him a cigar.

So how do you keep him locked up longer? Toss in sodomy charges, afdd statutory rape on top of rape. Throw in things like criminal conduct of an officer of the court/public safety official.

You look for what ever you can to keep that man behind bars and counter act any reductions in time due to deals, "good behavior" or parole.

That's a by product of Al Capone. You know what he was charged with don't you?

Tax evasion!

That reminds me. I must go tell my accountant to make sure he's being careful.

There's a politician in Australia who is the only member of parliament for his, obviously not mainstream, political party. He has more than once been accused of cultivating the media to publicise his "stunts". (I don't object to that in itself. After all, he's a pollie. They live on publicity.)

Recently he called a well known radio shock jock to declare that whilst a teenager he had been repeatedly sexually molested by his scoutmaster. And that's how it hit the headlines.

A day later, it turned out that the alleged molester was also a close family friend. Statistics show that the most frequent cases of pedophilia involve family members or close family friends, so that was really the significant factor, but it couldn't take away the harm already done to Scouting by the initial headline.

I actually wrote to this politician at his web site, pointing out the damage he had done, the more recent improvements in youth protection in Scouting, and suggested that he could come out in support of Scouting a little more. (It actually fits with his public position pretty well.) Is anyone surprised to know that I got no response at all?(This message has been edited by hilo)

The laws are different in each state concerning sodomy. For this particular charge it appears they chose an ordinance to hang on this guy that had a level of specificity. He alledgedly do not simply touch or molest a child, but possibly engaged in a specific sex act.

We often see "sodomy" (which I think in some states is defined as anal and/or oral sex) attached to charges of rape as well.

No, the sex-police don't check to see what hetro or homo couples are doing in the privacy of their own homes.

I'm not sure what your point is, WAKWIB, but it appears you didn't read the entire story. This individual admitted to engaging in sex with underage boys and videotaped it! Sounds like a total perv to me! The boys in jail will like him!

Yes I was just making a rather weak explanation to HiLo about what the sodomy charges might mean. I did not read the article. Don't want to, really. The whole idea sickens me.

A side note. We all know that every leader must take Youth Protection training. Do you think it's time to make the training materials for the kids a mandatory thing as well??

Interesting question, WAKWIB. I think the answer is probably still "no." I am pretty sure that parents in my son's troop would have a hissy fit about it. No matter what is included/excluded or what is said or how it is presented, we'd have angry parents pulling their kids out. I think many parents are uncomfortable talking about this stuff with their own children, but they are even more uncomfortable with someone else discussing it with their children.

I say this based on the reception that the human sexuality unit of our middle-school and high school-level health classes has received from the community where I live. To say the very least, it has been controversial.