Senate health care bill show on C-SPAN

I've been spending the evening watching the Senate "debate" over the health care bill. Not a debate really, Republicans trot out their doom and gloom for an hour and then the Democrats sing Happy Days are Here Again for their hour. Back and forth. Somewhere in the middle I believe the truth lies.

I've actually tried to read the thing, from the House bill to the current Senate bill. I've watched the committee hearings, listened to floor speeches from both Congressman and Senators (both sides). Unfortunately, I do not possess the intelligence to make sense of it.

So, tomorrow night the Senate will vote on whether the bill can go forward to debate and amendment. If it does pass that vote, I can look forward to many more weeks of government entertainment courtesy of C-SPAN.

After many months of discussion, I hardly think things are being rushed any more. THat charge might have had some truth if things were rammed through in August, as the original game plan called for. As it is, a vote in the Senate on the actual bill is unlikely to occur before mid December. True, the bill is very large and complicated. On the other hand, I'd be awfully worried about any bill that was ten pages long and written so that the average 6th grader fully comprehended everything in it. Health care *is* complicated. No surprise that any comprehensive effort to address the topic would also be complicated.

There is a provision in this bill starting on page 432 that increases Medicaid funding to "certian states recovering from a major disaster"

To make a long story short, states that "during the preceeding 7 fiscal years" were declared a major disaster area would receive a portion of these funds if needed. Guess what state would beneifit the most: LA There are other states that may qualify for these funds but not to the degree the state of LA does because of Katrina.

LA would receive the bulk of these funds. LA is the home of Sen. Mary Landrieu (Dem) who has been proving difficult to pin down and has been objecting to certian provisions in the over all health care bill. This bill will not pass without her vote.

The cost of this: The Congressional Budget Office estimates it be $100 Mllion Dollars.

Who would have guessed. I am sure this is just a coincidence.

;o}

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words out, Landrieu will vote in favor to bring it to the floor. Guess money talks.

One other Senator who is holding out is Blanche Lincoln from Arkansas. The word is is if she votes to bring this to the floor or ends up voting to pass the "Health Bill" she will be voted out of office in 2010.

What Landrieu and Reid have done would be called a bribe in any other setting.

There has not been sufficient time for the senators to read a 2000+ page complex bill and understand all the implications.

It is sad to see the sun setting on our freedoms as an unconstitutional bill goes through without the consideration that the congress has no authority to destroy the best health system in the world.

If the bill is indeed unconstitutional then I imagine that sooner or later, somebody with standing will challenge it, it will land in the Supreme Court, and they'll over turn it. Wouldn't be the first time in history you know - and that's one of the beautiful things about our system. So let's not get too carried away with the notion that a bill on health care is going to ruin freedom or any such stuff, hmm?

On the other hand, if what you mean is that you disagree with the bill, then how 'bout we don't resort to hyperbole by labeling everything with which we disagree "unconstitutional."

"It is sad to see the sun setting on our freedoms as an unconstitutional bill goes through without the consideration that the congress has no authority to destroy the best health system in the world."

Vol:

How will this bill affect the health care system of France, rated by the WHO as the best in the world? How will it affect those of Italy, San Marino, Andorra and Malta, rounding out the top five? I doubt that it will affect the health care systems of the UK, Canada, Belgium, Saudi Arabia or Costa Rica, all among the 36 ranked better than ours.

Or are you suggesting that WE have the best system in the world? What is the basis for that? It can't be our life expectancy, we lose there. It can't be based on access, we stink at that. I don't think it is based on cost effectiveness either since we pay more to not live as long. It can't be because the rest of the world is trying to copy us, they aren't. What metric justifies calling ours the "best in the world"? Sees a bit parochial, doesn't it?

Hal

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

I don't know about the WHO statistics, Hal. I read that the criteria used in different countries to measure mortality rates and other stats are not necessarily the same as ours. Have to do some more research for myself on that one.

When Blanche Lincoln was speaking and stated that she had decided to vote yes to proceed to debate, she said it was because she had to consider her constituents - ALL of her constituents - and owed it to them to continue the process, suggest amendments and changes to improve the bill, and see the business finished.

Lamar Alexander, John McCain and others are on the floor now. Alexander says it is arrogance to think that we (the Senate) could change the US healthcare system and know what is good for 300 million people. Gee, I thought all those guys (on both sides) campaign on the fact that they know what the American people want. That's what they keep saying anyway.

He also says that he and his colleagues haven't had time to read the entire bill, "no one has," he says. "We've picked out areas of legislation in the bill to interpret in depth."

Really? Just going to pick out certain parts? I sure hope that all those American people out there that have been wanting open and transparent process on this health care bill have taken the time to read it and are, in fact, watching the process and not just getting the "facts" from the partisan commentators on the radio and cable.

Then it must be arrogance to pass any law, to change anything and pretend to know what is good for 300 million people. So much for representative government.

I for one have shared my opinion with both my senators and I am sure that many others have as well. Are Sen. Alexander's constituents not telling him what they think? Has he not asked them? Pretty lame Lamar.

Today's vote is just about whether to debate the bill. The arrogance would be to try and keep this off the senate floor. That is an arrogance shared by both parties in the senate from time to time on a variety of issues.

Hal

"So much for representative government."

From what I have seen of the polls, the taxpayers...those who will have to pay for this debaucle, are overwhelmingly against this. So much for representative government, indeed.

There is nothing constitutional about a law that says, "you shall purchase insurance or face fines and imprisonment". Arrogance, indeed. (not to mention campaign promises to the contrary)