Union Not Happy About Eagle Project

So, I finally remembered the cliche' I wanted when is said "So, if this is to be taken as it seems, another "storm in a bucket"."

I really intended to give away my age with the old saw "tempest in a teapot". Oh well.

Back to fun and games. Have to prepare for a scout/webloes outing tomorrow. With luck I will have most of them actually show up.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one aspect to this story that makes the union's beef with the Eagle candidate completely unjustified. It was the candidate's idea! Absent the layoffs and labor issues, this wouldn't have even raised an eyebrow.

Now if the city had actively solicited volunteers to do this project, THEN I think the union would have a valid point. But THAT is not what was reported in the story.

One always has to be aware of both sides of any issue to fully appreciate everything that goes into how people react.

Yes, if city work is to be done by union city employees, they are correct in the assumption that bringing in volunteer workers may in fact be a breach of contract on the part of the city.

A few things could have gone into keeping this from the national news. Did the city visit with labor officials before the Eagle project was approved? Did the Eagle make arrangements to check this out as part of his project?

I had a boy fix up a city park very similar to the project in PA. However, this project was carefully evaluated prior to submitting it officially to the city. The comment from the city to the Eagle candidate was that the city did not have the resources to fix up the park, but if someone came in to do that, the city could use it's union workers to maintain the park. It was also discovered that other groups besides Eagle scouts were doing these kinds of project throughout the city in past years.

This type of information shouldn't just fall on union shoulders after-the-fact, but should be checked out as part of the project prior to submitting it for consideration.

With the economy going sour for a while, anyway, it might not be a bad idea to be overly sensitive to any group that may be impacted by what BSA and Eagle scouts may be doing in the local communities.

While Scouting for Food might be a terrific idea for the majority of people! Even specialty food drives for a specific purpose with genuine intent to help are good. But maybe there are those who wouldn't appreciate having a Scout show up on his door step with a bag of food for his holiday dinner embarrassing him by reminding him of his inability at the present time to feed and care for his family at no fault of his own. Those feelings may overwhelm the good intentions of the scout's efforts.

Stosh

While Scouting for Food might be a terrific idea for the majority of people! Even specialty food drives for a specific purpose with genuine intent to help are good. But maybe there are those who wouldn't appreciate having a Scout show up on his door step with a bag of food for his holiday dinner embarrassing him by reminding him of his inability at the present time to feed and care for his family at no fault of his own. Those feelings may overwhelm the good intentions of the scout's efforts.

I realize you're just using this as an example, but it piqued my curiosity. In our coucil, units deliver the food collected from Scouting for Food to a local food bank, who then distributes it to those who need the food. Are there units who deliver their food directly to those in need?