Econmy Good, Jobs Bad

Never heard it put like this before. From USAToday:

The economy is recovering, he said, but jobs are a lagging indicator and he expects the unemployment situation to get worse before it gets better, Obama said at a meeting of the President's Economic Recovery Advisory Board.

Except when there are other confounders being brought to bear, such as increasing tax burdens on individuals and small businesses, federal takeover of corporations and unfunded government mandates on state and local governments.

As has been said by the experts...this is an economic "perfect storm" the likes of which we've never seen before. The standard rules of business and economics don't apply any more...

No one I know believes that "inflation is zero" and the economy is good...

Sure, it is easy to look at things like everything's going to 'that mythical place that doesn't really exist'. But a good capitalist, one that is an effective competitor who makes good choices and invests wisely, will find this economy to be a wealth of opportunity. Right now it is possible to take a little bit of capital, combine it with an understanding of how things work, and turn a huge amount of profit. All these dire headlines are just theater in comparison.

Being in a field that prides itself on being "shovel ready" (heh heh), we're booming. Can't hire fast enough to keep up with new work. I suppose that indicates the recovery is patchy, but all those new wages are flowing into the community, rippling, rippling.

As an independent computer consultant, I keep a job tickler on Monster.com to get a pulse for the market of my skill set. For the past 2 - 3 years, nothing - zero - Nada. But this past month, I'm getting 2 to 3 leads a week. Something is happening. Something good.