LA Police and Fire depts. to end Explorer programs

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer your question Calico the city of LA like the rest of California is flat broke and neither the police or fire departments have the money in their budgets, and neither does the city to fund these programs , SO THE YOUTH LOSE.

Shortridge a scout is supposed to be honest(trustworthy) and that is my honest evaluation of Merlyn Leroy.

OK, so I'm wondering what does it take to be loathsome? What did Merlyn do to qualify for that status? Here's what I can find in these threads:

He started a recent thread about LA Police and Fire depts. ending Explorer programs.

He consistently argues and opposes discrimination based on religion.

He openly states his disagreement when it occurs.

He disagrees with BSA policy on membership.

Have I missed something?

I think there are others of us who agree on these matters, though perhaps not as forcefully. I believe that makes us loathsome as well. I think we are also ilk, whatever that is. Oh nooooooo, loathsome ilk!

But wait a minute. Merlyn didn't file a lawsuit in LA. He didn't actually DO anything other than inform us of the fact and then argue its merits. This is dreadful...almost anyone who has ever started a thread might also be loathsome ilk. I....feel....so.....dirty.

But DO NOT DESPAIR! This is one of those occasions when it is the perfect time for some Beebop-a-Reebop Rhubarb Pie. See y'all after dessert.

Edited to apologize: to Garrison Keillor(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Peabody! How many times do I have to tell you guys that Peabody, not Merlyn, is my favorite character?

BadenP, I grasp the issues. I just tend to poke fun at folks who try to win arguments with name calling. You've been poked fun at. Not much of a sense of humor either, it seems.

I would very much like to have a t-shirt, "LOATHSOME ILK". Maybe I'll go down to the graphics shop and order a few. I'll use the old illustration of the 'urschleim' as my mascot, maybe with ol' Peabody looking at it through a microscope.

Hey Pack!...We could start our OWN group..."Loathsome Ilk of America" (LIA)...and sponsor our own youth programs. Wanna draw straws to see who will be the "Chief Loathsome Ilk"?

Question: Who funded these programs before when they were LFL? Did the Posts sell Trails End popcorn to buy their uniforms and badges? If the city funded them, and they plan on continuing the program, what's the problem? Far as I can tell, nothing much will change, except they won't be paying fees to LFL National in Irving.

Scoutldr, we'd probably have to recruit Graham Greene or someone similar for that role. ;) But I'll gladly defer to your eminence if we can't. :)

Edited for typo, also...BadenP, shhhhhh some folks around these parts don't know yet that the South lost.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

LFL didn't fund the Explorer Posts, the City and County of LA funded these Explorer Posts. LA paid a fee to LFL for administrative and programming materials support. If LA couldn't afford the cadet programs, it wouldn't matter whether they were under the LFL rubric or not - the programs would disappear. But that's not what's happening - the programs will remain - they just won't be Explorer Posts anymore, and won't be paying a fee to LFL. Again, the Youth who are interested will still be served - the only ones that lose out is LFL.

Civil War? Is there really ever such a thing as a civil war? War seems pretty uncivilized to me. Wait, was that a loathsome statement, or just an irksome statement. If it's just irksome, can I still become a member of LIA? Maybe I could be Irkel? Did I do that???

I am wondering if people who find fault with the BSA also find fault with the YMCA? The "Y" runs similar programs in some cases, and can even apply for Federal funds for community based programs for their boys. For swimming instruction we sometimes use the Y and its aquatics programs

Boomerscout: At some point someone may decide to challenge the Y's name; but right now they are too busy worrying about forcing the BSA to change, rather than simply going their own way and finding another outlet. The Y usually only goes by Y now; but technically, it is still YMCA or YWCA. That "awful" Christian thing may get them yet.