LA Police and Fire depts. to end Explorer programs

The LA city attorney determined that LA can't use the BSA's Explorer program, because that violates the city's law forbidding contracts with organizations that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation and religion. An attorney for LFL says that LFL has already severed ties with the BSA (but as far as I know, LFL is still a subsidiary of the BSA).

http://www.lgbtpov.com/2009/10/lapd-cut-ties-to-the-boy-scouts-%E2%80%93-with-some-red-flags

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That city attorney probably trying to make a name for himself to get votes in the next election, this really isn't about gay rights it is nothing more than a political game Merlyn no matter what you may think. The only losers here once again are the kids, doesn't that make you proud Merlyn.

I like to apply the Duck Test. Just checked my council's website...there is a recruiting announcement for an Explorer Post and the LFL Executive is listed as a Council employee...whom I assume reports to the SE, a BSA employee. So, if LFL has "severed ties", the word hasn't filtered down to the COuncil level yet. Also, the LFL website lists it's headquarters as "Walnut Hill Lane, Irving Texas".

I'm not dissing Exploring (I loved it when I was in it), or LFL (which most people know little about). Let's just end the charade.

Quack.

PS: Note to lgbtpov.com...the BSA logo is a registered trademark. You might want to remove it from your website.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Yes, let's end the charade. Just because they are owned by the same larger group, does not make them equal. That would be like trying to say that the disparate arms of a multi-national firm, each with its own operating program and structure, are all equally responsible for whatever one of the other branches does.

As pointed out by someone else, this is simply a continuing political issue that chooses to ruin good programs for the benefit of almost no one, because they have "undue power" based on PC idiocy.

So, let's see how long this one continues with the regurgitation of the same tripe over and over.

Have fun.

Well it seems that we all agree, the kids lose, and over something that should never have been an issue in the first place.

So I'm sure glad to know that you'll all support a change in BSA membership policy to avoid this silliness.

I agree with Lisa. And as soon as we lowly volunteers get a vote, I'll cast one. As I have said before on these forums...we are not truly "members" of the organization...we are customers of a corporation. Members get to help decide how the organization is run, either directly or through elected representatives.

Meanwhile, if certain individuals or groups would simply let the internal, albeit, slow, process work its way out, you might finally see an acceptable solution. Confrontation too often simply causes stagnation.

But, no matter what happens, there will be someone who is not happy, or cannot live with having to see something they do not agree with or like.

skeptic writes:

Meanwhile, if certain individuals or groups would simply let the internal, albeit, slow, process work its way out, you might finally see an acceptable solution.

Skeptic, some people don't think that waiting forever for something that "might" happen is acceptable. I know that you thought it was unfair that public schools couldn't continue to charter cub scout packs and blatantly violate the civil rights of their own atheist students until the BSA got around to admitting atheists in another 40 or 50 years, but some of us address the current situation instead of things that "might" happen a few decades down the road.

Los Angeles has laws on the books that prohibit the city from having contracts with organizations that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation and religion. That means the city police & fire departments can't use the BSA's programs, including programs from a wholly-owned subsidiary of the BSA.

That's the situation as it is NOW. If the situation changes in the future, that change can be taken into consideration whenever that actually happens. But as it is NOW, the city can't have contracts with the BSA for their services.

Merlyn:

You are now doing what you so often accuse others of doing. Find anything that can prove that I ever made such a statement or comment about schools and atheists. While I may think the move does more harm than good, it is the legal ruling and therefore applicable. It was not applicable when some schools, with the backing of your favorite organization, were not given equal access to the use; and that too was brought to a legal ruling that must be met, even though some think it unfair for some reason.

But, as has been noted numerous times; you have no desire to EVER admit an error, or to accept that sometimes things take time to come to conclusions acceptable to all, even the "terribly majority".

Blather on now.