No Way.

There is a Thread, about the Jamboree.

Councils, have already made the reservations, and to the best of my knowledge, the only way for a troop to attend is as one of Council Troops. Last time the Boys from my council paid $895.00. This did not cover the cost of uniforms or any equipment.

We are only a five hour bus ride from the site, so you can see that the boys coming from across the country will have a much higher price tag.

We have not as yet posted a price. But I noticed, on mt drive to work today that gas had gone up another eight cents a gallon.

So who knows what the final price will be.

As one who served as an ASM on the 1993 and 1997 Jamboree Troops for my council, I can tell you it will be expensive. Our council charged $1800.00 per boy for the 2001 trip. The troop flew from Dallas to Washington then bused to Fort A.P.Hill. The fee was strictly for the trip/Washignton D.C. tour/jamboree fees & equipment (which get turned over the council camp upon return). Uniforms, shakedown campouts, spending money and trading patches are all additional. But it is a great adventure for the boys. They will never forget it.

Part of the fun of Jamboree is camping with Scouts from other troops in your council. They talk about their troops and often both troops are better for it.

I don't see jamboree as a "Troop" activity. It is a highlight experience for the few not the many.

Looking for a simular experience for your troop? Try Philmont or one of the other high adventure bases.

There is one way a Scout can go to Jamboree without the council contingent, the Order of the Arrow has a service crew. Not sure of the price, but it is a lot of work in the service of others!

RMV

Perhaps the previous posts were not clear. Scouts do not attend with their Troops. A "Jamboree Troop(s)" will be formed up consisting of individual scouts from your Council (contingent). They are given a new troop number and usually a special Jambo Council Shoulder Patch (CSP), troop flag, equipment, etc. Similar process to the way our Council goes to Philmont. Best thing to do is contact your District Commissioner, District Executive or ask around at Roundtable to see how your Council is planning to do it.

Perhaps the previous posts were not clear. Scouts do not attend with their Troops. A "Jamboree Troop(s)" will be formed up consisting of individual scouts from your Council (contingent). They are given a new troop number and usually a special Jambo Council Shoulder Patch (CSP), troop flag, equipment, etc. Similar process to the way our Council goes to Philmont. Depending on the number of slots available, not all who apply will be accepted. Best thing to do is contact your District Commissioner, District Executive or ask around at Roundtable to see how your Council is planning to do it.

grogaardk,

There are millions of eligible scouts and adult volunteers and there is a limited program area. Over 50,0000 participants will be at Jamboree 2005. That's the capacity of the area. It will make that army base one of the 10 largest cities in the state during that week. We would need a program area the size of Kansas City if it was open to everyone.

There are still plenty of opportunities for your son to go, just sign him up with your council. National even offers every council some camperships (I think it's one per contigent troop) that pays the national fee (about $595) for scouts who need financial assistance.

It's not that the program is not for everyone, but there are some real-life factors like geographic limits that have to be considered.

Bob White

I see both sides to the question. One is you would like to get your Troop to go to participate in the experience.

I would say "Yes" you could do that but your troop will not be official particpants of the jamboree. I attended the 1983 World Jamboree in Alberta, Canada. It was a great experience but the one thing I remember that allowed me and others who were official participants to standout from Scout Units that visited was the Jamboree Passport. That little book allows you to join in the games and other activities.

National already has this down to a science. I was told at woodbadge that if a scout wanted to go they can start saving Now and by the time the applications came out they would have enough to make thier first down payment.

You could look at it both ways. You could take your troop with the low cost savings and observe the jamboree or you could save now pay the set fees and have FUN.

Let the Youth decide, you'll be surprised at the decisions they come up with.

Matua

Our jamboree troop committee,offers the boys who are selected to attend the opportunity to raise money for the jamboree.

Last time out we sold pies and pizzas.

Some of the boys went crazy and sold enough to cover the entire cost, while some parents wrote a check for the full amount at the first meeting. Most, like my son fell into the middle.

Scouting is a program for all to participate in, and we do try to offer as much help as we can, to those who need it.

My troop back in England, has a history of sending boys to world jamborees, we never thought of it as sending the one boy, it was and is viewed as our representative.

When the boy came back, he went to the other troops and packs and shared his experiances, as well as visiting local service clubs.

Yes, it cost a lot, but it was money well spent.

The Jamboree is an awesome experience. Two of my sons went this last time as part of the Council contingent and I went as Region Staff. My wife and our youngest son attended as visitors and had a tremendous experience. At the motel they were staying at nearby the Jambo site, was a troop that was "visiting" and they also were having a great time. There are numerous campimg oportunities in the surrounding area, however they fill up fast with visitng units. I agree, the Jambo is geared towards those that are participants, however visitors can still have a memorable experience. I would recommend trying to go as participants, if that is not possible going as a visitor beats staying home. It is my understanding, the Jamboree was not quite fully staffed with adult leaders this last time, this is a wonderful way as an adult to experience it all. However you can get there, GO! I can hardly wait for 2005.

It is these troops that are "VISITING" the Jamboree that has caused a lot or resentment and hard feelings on the part of those that have paid the full fee to attend.

According to National rules in 01 you could not camp within 50 or 75 miles of the Jamboree and could not visit for more than 3 days, yet there were troops that stayed outside the Jamboree site and tried to participate everyday, including doing things that only paid participants were allowed to do. Worse was we heard a scouter complaining his troop could not do some of the Meritbadges that they wanted to do because they didn't pay the Fees that the particpants did. I guess they wanted a free ride. Although National did a better job of policing that last time I hope they get better at it in 05. If you want the Jamboree experiance, Pay the Fee, and get it all.

Hey nldscout

You raise good points. Maybe the Jamboree should close it's gates to all those that don't pay the "fee". Keep out all those Scouts from Washington DC, Richmond, and Baltimore and other areas in the surrounding region that come over for a day or two because they don't have the resources or opportunities of other Units. Let's keep out other Scouts and Scouters that do follow the rules of the Jamboree (such as my wife and son), so those that pay the "fee" can have the total experience.

There will always be those who try to beat the system unfortunately, even in Scouting (those people have to look themselves in mirror) and there will be those that do not know the rules. However, to imply that those who do not pay the "fee" should not attend because they some how diminish the experience of those that do, borders on elitism.

Speaking as one of the adult staff that volunteered - strike that - I paid to volunteer to Staff the Jamboree, I feel there is more than enough Jamboree to go around. The Jamboree is a celebration of Scouting and if a boy becomes fired up over Scouting because of the Jamboree whether he attends one day or the full week, then the Jamboree was a success. If a boy leaves the Jamboree with negative memories because an adult Scouter did not follow the rules or because another adult Scouter displayed elitist attitudes, then shame on us as adults.

Sure paying the "fee" or volunteering as Staff is still the best way to experience the Jamboree (I had two sons who paid the fees). But if that is not possible, attending as a visitor (by the rules) is still the next best thing.

No one had a problem with those that truly VISITED for a couple of days. The problem I and a great many others had were with those that come expecting to do everything that the paid participants did. Things like Meritbadges, scuba, snorkeling, and the list goes on. There is nothing wrong with visiting and experiancing the Jamboree. But don't go there expecting to be a participant without paying.

Yes the Jamboree is expensive, but for most scouts its a once in a lifetime event. I beleive that any scout that wants to can go, all it takes it the will and drive to earn the money.

We had a scout that a few yrs ago wanted to attend Philmont, almost same cost, but his parents could not afford it. So he started collecting bottles and cans for the deposits. Took him 18 months but he earned the $1200 fee, plus enough for his gear and spending money. All by a little inititive and hard work.