Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, I don't hate the President, eh?

But this is a bit ridiculous.

Carter arguably merited da prize for the Camp David accords, eh? He successfully concluded a peace between Egypt and Israel which has held for 30 years, something those of us who were around in da 60s and 70s would never have bet on.

Never did get Gore. Better to give it to da scientists and folks doin' real work.

This one is way out there, though. I reckon it's really a Nobel Prize for the American Constitution, eh? The rest of the world is just so relieved at the peaceful transfer of power from GWB to BHO that they awarded Obama the prize, not recognizing that it was just the Constitution.

Beavah

>>Carter arguably merited da prize for the Camp David accords, eh? He successfully concluded a peace between Egypt and Israel which has held for 30 years, something those of us who were around in da 60s and 70s would never have bet on.

Barry,

From the Nobel site:

"The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 2002 to Jimmy Carter, for his decades of untiring effort to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts, to advance democracy and human rights, and to promote economic and social development."

http://tiny.cc/1he0F

It goes on to describe Carter's continuing efforts to peace and human rights over the twenty years after he created the Carter Center as the main reason for their consideration in awarding the medal to him.

Miki - the President didn't need your hint, and he didn't struggle like T.R. - he announced right away that the prize money would be donated to charity.

I find it rather disturbing that instead of having feelings of pride for the United States that the President was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, many people would rather gripe and pick nits about it. I doubt most people actually read the citation, the reason it was given. I doubt most people actually understand what the prize is all about - perhaps because of the word "prize"? There is no rule that says there must be an accomplishment - most of the prizes that are given are not for any specific accomplishment, but for fostering a climate where peace can hold sway. Like it or not, President Obama has certainly done so in the eyes of most of the world. I frankly don't care if some right winger or Republican is upset because they don't think it's deserved or fair.

Sure, the President may have been nominated within weeks of his inauguration, but the award wasn't chosen until recently - it is his words, his speeches, his world-wide "apology" tour (as the right wing yobs would call it), his opening up of dialogue, and returning the US to the diplomatic stage that was recognized. Yes, he's done far more in the past 8 months than most of us will ever do to try to foster peace.

Congrats, Mr. Obama, on the Nobel Peace Prize. You've brought honor to the United States of America.

Some of us who voted for him are also questioning this award.

I see it kinda like giving him the Eagle Rank. He certainly has the potential but he hasn't earned it yet. I would not be proud if my son was given his Eagle, but he EARNED it, and for that I'm very proud of him.

I still haven't seen much in what he's accomplished, except that he's not George Bush and looks good in a suit. ( ok, a little overboard but you catch my drift )

IMHO

Well. And here I always thought I was a pretty *left* wing crybaby.

I voted for Obama. I like Obama. I think he's a darn good president (so far). I still don't see what he's done to merit a Nobel peace prize. My guess is that he might be a little surprised, too.

"Away, then, with all those prophets who say to the people of Christ, Peace, peace, and there is no peace!" Martin Luther, Thesis 92

I decided to officially boycott Norway...but found out they don't produce much. Ok, then...no more Lutefisk for me! Who's with me?

So, what do you have to say about the previous winners who are just as shocked and surprised? Are they a bunch of cry babies, too?

"... Lech Walesa, the dissident turned Polish President, who won the Peace Prize in 1983, spoke for many, declaring: So soon? Too early. He has no contribution so far.

... Bobby Muller, who won the Nobel Prize as co-founder of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines, told The Times: "I don't have the highest regard for the thinking or process of the Nobel committee. Maybe Norway should give it to Sweden so they can more properly handle the Peace Prize along with all the other Nobel prizes."

scoutldr - my wife, half-Norwegian, is very disappointed in her countrymen. I'll join you, in boycotting Aquavit