Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

Not wanting to start a sparring match here...but when and what, exactly, did he do all that before the nomination deadline in January? All I've seen is he's given a few speeches apologizing for us. And there were a record 209 nominations this year (Wikipedia).

This is too funny! Well, the prize hasn't been anything other than a political award since they gave it to Carter, and then to Gore. They need to change the name of it to "The Liberal Fluff Prize."

Strikes me as similar to a 12-year old Eagle Scout. Gee, what are they going to give him next? Are they already drawing up designs to put him on Mt. Rushmore??

I guess in the committee's twisted minds, maybe Obama taking the US down as a Superpower is making peace in the world.

"EMBARRASSING JOKE"

Issam al-Khazraji, a day laborer in Baghdad, said: "He doesn't deserve this prize. All these problems -- Iraq, Afghanistan -- have not been solved...The man of 'change' hasn't changed anything yet."

How is a day laborer in Baghdad smarter than the entire Nobel committee?

"Until we get this birth certificate thing straightened out, which nation is he going to accept it for?"

Ha ha Gern. That made me chuckle a bit.

Seriously though, even if Hawai'i falsified the birth certificate, and BHO was born in Africa to an American mother, wasn't he still born an American citizen? Isn't it just like McCain being born in Panama to American parents?

Technically McCain was born in the Canal Zone, A US Territory until 1979. By Congressional legislation in 1937, all children born there to at least one US citizen are considered citizens (applied retroactively). I don't think Congress can pass laws for Kenya.

Title 8, 1401:

The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:

For Obama - (g) a person born outside the geographical limits of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is an alien, and the other a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than five years, at least two of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years: Provided, That any periods of honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States....

For McCain - © a person born outside of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents both of whom are citizens of the United States and one of whom has had a residence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions, prior to the birth of such person;

Edit: Got the correct cites, I think.(This message has been edited by bacchus)(This message has been edited by bacchus)

Obama not attend, and not let the world gaze upon his excellency? No chance he misses that.

U.S. President Barack Obama will come to Oslo to collect the Nobel Peace Prize, Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said on Friday after speaking with Obama.

The prize is handed out on Dec. 10, the anniversary of the 1896 death of the award's founder Alfred Nobel.

"Obama said he looked forward to coming to Oslo to receive the prize," a statement from Stoltenberg's office said after the prime minister phoned Obama to congratulate him.

Given that Obama's primary accomplishment to date is getting elected president of the USA, one infers that the peace prize committee intends to give the award to all future US presidents during their first year in office.

The guy in Baghdad got it right. If Obama actually did any of the following things he would certainly deserve the award:

1. Persuade either the North Korean or the Iranian regimes to verifiably dismantle their nuclear programs.

2. Achieve lasting peace between the Israelis and their arab neighbors.

3. Persuade either the Taliban or Al Queda to give up their murderous ways.

If Obama actually pulled off only one of these during his term in office, I would justifiably nominate him for this.

Has any other sitting president ever received the prize other than Theodore Roosevelt in 1905? Interestingly, TR refused to accept the prize money because his felt it belonged to the American people since it was earned at the bargaining table where he helped end the Russo-Japanese War in 1905. He struggled with that momentous decision because he wanted to give the money to his kids, however, he gave it away to a number of national service organizations.

Hint, hint, Mr. President.