Happy Blasphemy Day

They CAN, sure; why wouldn't they be able to? I doubt most of them do this, but there's nothing that requires theism in that. Atheists can also build 1/4 size replicas of the Brooklyn Bridge out of popsicle sticks, but that's probably not common, either.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is disbelief in Zeus another belief system, Ed?

Is disbelief in the Loch Ness monster a belief system?

Does every opinion spawn an entire belief system?

If atheism is a belief system Ed, what does it consist of, besides the non-belief in gods?

If atheism is a belief system Ed, what does it consist of, besides the non-belief in gods?

I think you would be better able to answer your own question, Merlyn, since you claim you are an atheist.

Are we having fun or what? Merlyn, just curious, do atheists count Buddhists as having some common ground? Could an atheist experience a sense of reverence in the deep forest or while contemplating the stars, just not on behalf of a deity?

Gern, no I think there's too much of a component of 'fear' in 'awe'. Remember that 'awe' was one of the two major components of our military strategy when we invaded Iraq, the other being 'shock'. I think that 'reverence' with its component of profound respect is better. I see no need of a deity to achieve this status.

edited for typos(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

You're the one making the claim that atheism is a belief system, Ed. I've always said it isn't a belief system, it only consists of the absence of belief in gods.

Are you now the primary spokesperson and expert on Atheism, Merlyn? If not, then what you say is strictly your opinion and nothing more.(This message has been edited by evmori)

Ed, in case you forgot, you've offered no evidence or explanation why you say atheism is a belief system. For some odd reason you tried to fob it off on me, as if I'm supposed to make your arguments for you, but when that didn't work, you continue to make random statements, like the obvious observation that my opinion is my opinion.

I can't speak for Ed, but my point wasn't that atheism is a belief system. My point was that in speaking absolutes about what atheism does or doesn't "require," you appear to be speaking about a defined belief system. In other words, you have constructed a mythology for yourself as to what atheism is and are therefore treating it as a religion.

The problem is, Merlyn, you tend to pose your opinion as fact. This statement

I've always said it isn't a belief system, it only consists of the absence of belief in gods.

is your opinion. My statement that Atheism is a belief system is my opinion. And we are all entitled to our opinions. I might not agree with yours & you might not agree with mine but that makes neither incorrect.