Happy Blasphemy Day

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Ed, think of it this way, is not believing in the Great Pumpkin a belief system?

Most would agree that not believing in the Great Pumpkin is a belief but it doesn't really have much "meat" to constitute any sort of "system." Now, a believer in the Great Pumpkin may also believe that on Halloween night, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch he deems most "sincere," and flies through the air delivering toys to all the good little children in the world. Also that the Great Pumpkin is very sensitive and easily offended and will bypass anyone who denies or doubts his existence. I'm not sure of all the tenants of "Pumpkinism" but maybe in total they make up a belief system.(This message has been edited by acco40)

In the beginning, there was nothing. The Great Pumpkin gazed at the nothingness and said "This is sad, let there be Pumpkin Patches!" And lo, from the nothingness came great pumpkin patches, complete with planets, light, darkness, water, and creatures to support them.

On the second day, the Great Pumpkin gazed at the pumpkin patches inhabiting millions of worlds in millions of universes and said "This is good, but it's missing something" so using a special pumpkin seed, the Great Pumpkin created man, whom the Great Pumpkin called "Linus" and equipped him with a blue woven cloth, which the Great Pumpkin called "Blanket".

On the third day, the Great Pumpkin gazed at the new universe and saw that Linus was lonely, so using GMO techniques, modified a special pumpkin seed and created woman, whom the Great Pumpkin called "Sally".

On the fourth day, the Great Pumpkin listened in despair as Linus told Sally about the Great Pumpkin and Sally laughed at Linus and walked away to find non-pumpkiny treats. This angered the Great Pumpkin but because the Great Pumpkin was a gentle Great Pumpkin, the Great Pumpkin decided to leave mankind alone and let them make their own decisions, vowing to rise just once every year on Pumpkin Day Eve in the most sincere pumpkin patch to deliver toys and candy to boys and girls who still believed.

On the fifth day, seeing that Linus was the only one who ever believed, the Great Pumpkin said "the heck with it" and created dinosaurs.

I can't believe I missed this entire thread the first time around. A very entertaining replay of the Ed and Merlyn show. We could sell tickets.

But Pack, to answer your question: a miracle is the same thing as magic - but with more witnesses (some of whom later tell stories about it).

And I agree with you about Satan (:)). Does not exist, merely a human invention.

(edited tpyos(This message has been edited by trevorum)

You guys do know, don't you, that this thread is, like, years old or something?

Trevorum, sometime after that Beavah took me to the woodshed for diminishing people who believe in Satan by saying that Satan is a (oops, almost used the m-word...Beavah worked me over again later for using that term as well and basically says I can't use it at all). So Trevorum, gird your loins.

I must have missed that thread also... Beavah (and others) almost certainly feel that Odin and Thor are myths and would have no hesitation about saying so, despite the fact that there are good people who yet believe in those entities (I'm not one, by the way). I have no problem in saying that I believe angels and demons are myths, despite the fact that Beavah (and other good people) may believe in those entities.

Beavah can't throw lightning, alas. However, he does have an unusual aptitude for attractin' it (and other meteorological phenomena) when out camping. :)

Beavah would never call Thor a myth to a genuine believer, just to be respectful. I don't think there really are any of those left though, eh? Just like I don't think da anthropological term "cult" when referrin' to things like da reverence Catholics feel toward Mary is appropriate in polite company.

Just part of bein' respectful, is all.

Beavah