Courtesy and Civility

No intention of hijacking the thread - just wanted to point out we should be civil and courteous to one another; so apologies for the spin off.

The Civil War ending in 1865 - 144 years by my Hillbilly math; not over 150 years now...

I can not concede what was lost before my birth. I am proud of my heritage - Scot-Irish, Southern, and all American. I was, naively it seems, unaware that regional prejudices were still so strong that would show in a Scout forum.

Back to the topic - the "gentleman" from SC should have acted, and continue to act, as a gentleman.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who was born and lives in Florida, a state that is arguably both both North and South, I'd agree with OGE. From my observations, it's groups from the South (not the South as a whole) that tend to keep the resentments alive and kicking. I don't think the Northerners, aka damnyankees, really care all that much, let alone obsess over it.

My roommate in grad school (University of Georgia) was from Charleston SC. He referred to it as the War of Northern Aggression. He wasn't joking. Yeah, it ain't over in South Carolina.

Joe Wilson voted against removing the confederate battle flag (for lack of a better word) from dome of the state capital. Why even fly the flag of a country that ceased to exist 144 years ago? Yeah, it ain't over in South Carolina.

When the South stops acting like the Civil War never ended then maybe the divide between North and South can finally be put to rest.

Hal

I too, urge return of the thread: just after I respond. ;) I was born and raised in the South. I've heard most of it and seen some of it, 'it' being the illusions of having a personal memory of 'The War', as well as the prejudice, hate, and violence directed at minorities. I know these things because I have personally witnessed them. And I can tell all of you, that anyone who equates the Texas South with the South Carolina South is being delusional. Texas does seem to have a special passion for putting people to death but not with the flair of the deep South. And despite the front-page nature of what happened in Alabama, the beatings, the bombings, the brutality...the epicenter was in South Carolina.

There is a new book out entitled, "The Palmetto State: The Making of Modern South Carolina." It is written by Jack Bass and W. Scott Poole. I doubt that there are many states in which nearly the entire white population of whole counties were members of the KKK, not too far from where I grew up. There aren't many places in Boston where white-robed klansmen assaulted county jails, removing prisoners in order to lynch them.

I remember that famous ruling by Judge McMillan. I was driving one of those school buses when the order was written...at the age of 16...in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system. I lived it. And I can tell you after traveling and living in so many other states in the USA, when it comes to prejudice, The South doesn't have a monopoly on it. But NO ONE does hate and prejudice with the skill, subtlety, and religious fervor of The South.

Sorry BA, apparently that article has been taken down. It's no secret though that the more civil elements of the Republican party were not happy with Wilson's outburst. Unfortunately the zeolots of the Republican party that seem to think what Wilson did was OK continue the dialog of shrillness drowning out any rationale opposition.

In the mean time the Democrats could focus on ironing out a Health Care bill that might pass and look like the bigger party tryin to solve real problems, but they'd rather continue to keep the focus on Wilson and nonsense.

Where was that Moderate Normal Person's Party?

SA

My roommate in grad school (University of Georgia) was from Charleston SC. He referred to it as the War of Northern Aggression. He wasn't joking. Yeah, it ain't over in South Carolina.

It's not over around here either. Folks still tell the tale of the sacking of Osceola by JayHawkers and Red Legs. Folks also tell the tale of the sacking of Lawrence, Kansas by Quantrill's raiders.

I saw a license plate leaving the MU-BGSU game Saturday night: KU H8R.

The problem is pretty widespread.

Though we seem to have hit on a very sensitive point here...

ScoutingAgain,

I agree; the Moderate Normal Person's Party sounds good to me. Problem is, it seems we all ENJOY the controversy. What would we do without the other party/guy/group to point our fingers at? Of course, neither party believes the other party is willing to compromise and neither party is willing to yield a single vote/sound bite. So we get to hear all about the apology debate instead of the actual health care debate. May be we should change the names to apology-gate and health-gate.

In the end, whether we agree or disagree about political plans or options, we can still be Courteous and Kind. At least I hope so.

@Brent - "I would disagree. Are those donating to his campaign doing so because they agree with his behavior, or because they don't think he should lose his seat because of it? Two separate issues."

Kudos to your blade sharpening abilities.....because that is one extremely razor thin edge you are using to split hairs. ;)

Brent,

Let's be honest here instead of partisan. There is no mind-reading needed. It is called common sense. You "support" what you support. Why would I give money to a group that wants to legalize drugs if I oppose drug legalization. I believe in liberty and freedom......but I'm not giving them money so they can fight the good fight. I don't think Wilson should resign over a moment of childish behavior either, but I'm not sending him money for his campaign. The vast majority of folks who are sending him money are doing so to make a statement about their similar feelings towards our President.

OK, SR540Beaver, you asked for common sense, so let's use a little more. You don't think Joe Wilson should lose his seat, just like me. So now you see his opponent getting $1 million dollars NOT for any position he has taken or because of his tremendous leadership, but just because he is running against Joe Wilson. So, do you sit back and let those who don't live in the district and who have never even heard of the challenger before, bank roll him into office? Or do you try to even the tables by contributing to Joe Wilson's campaign?

Common sense tells me his challenger didn't just raise a million dollars for any other reason than those people want to take Joe Wilson's seat. If that's true, then why is it impossible for Wilson to raise a million from those who want him to keep his seat?

Brent,

You are making an assumption that his opponent is receiving contributions from out of district. For all we know, some of Wilson's constituents disliked his behavior enough to give to his opponent because they do not want someone eho acted like that to represent them any longer. Others appreciated it because of their similar dislike for the President and are showing their support.

His election is local and not national. Until his outburst, no one knew who he was outside of his home state and the beltway. Why would folks outside his district care one whit about contributing to he or his opponent's campaigns?

"Why would folks outside his district care one whit about contributing to he or his opponent's campaigns?"

Maybe you should ask these guys. I think they have your answer for you.

ActBlue raises over $750,000 for Joe Wilson's opponent

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/09/11/actblue-raises-over-750000-for-joe-wilsons-opponent/

" Online fundraising site ActBlue announced Friday that since Republican congressman Joe Wilson's outburst during President Obama's address, his Democratic opponent Rob Miller has raised over $787,951 (and rising) on the site. The first donation came in at 9:15 p.m. ET on September 9.

ActBlue Deputy Communications Director Adrian Arroyo told CNN that the donations have come in from over 21,622 people since Wednesday night's speech, a major jump from the 5,000 who had contributed as of yesterday. Arroyo admits that since the fundraising push is viral, "there is no one place to locate what is going on. You have DailyKos, Twitter and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee circling these issues. There is no one prime mover." The mean contribution size is $36."

Now, if you think all those contributions are just coming from his district, I have a few bridges I'd like to sell you.