Courtesy and Civility

When you apologize, then get in the media and basically recant the apology, it has little meaning. Putting a disrespectful person on a pedestal as some kind of hero because you dislike the person at whom the disrespect was aimed says as much about you as it does the perpetrator. And there lies the rub.

It would likely have mellowed and been put in the background if "crazies" had not immediately made him a martyr. He is not; and now he has negated any pretense of a real apology.

The President though, can be the better man, and publicly ask his party members to let it go. He might care to point out to them that he already said he accepted the apology, so they should leave it at that. With the general political environment today, it likely won't; and that is too bad.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

skeptic,

I imagine if you were to ask Joe Wilson, he would tell you he was ready for it all to die down. Only the Dems wouldn't let it. They were demanding that he follow up his apology to Obama with another apology on the House floor. Others were demanding that he resign. Looks to me like he has just been defending himself.

And let's not forget - Obama isn't new to the word liar. He was using the term pretty well back in the Democrat primary against Bill Clinton.

I don't know where you get your facts Dunwoody but there are also many House Republicans asking Wilson to apologize to the floor for the embarrasment he caused for the republican party and to the House. It's not always just about the Democrats, Brent even if you would like to think so. Besides the whole admonishment is more a ritualistic point of order, its not like he is going to be branded with an L on his chest, lol, and he did get a million in contributions from people who support his boorish behavior, did any of it come from you Brent?

This was not pre-meditated, he just let his emotions get to him.

Yah, I don't get this.

A four year old might have his emotions get to him and blurt something out in a public gathering.

This was a grown man.

Is he sufferin' from Tourettes or Alzheimers? Some other illness where he loses control? In that case, he has my sympathy. If not, let's not pretend that grown-ups aren't makin' a choice when they speak or shout out while sittin' in a public gallery.

I send a Scout Salute to da representatives from both parties who want to hold the fellow accountable for the honor of their house of congress.

Beavah

BadenP,

No, I missed the Republicans calling for Wilson to apologize on the House floor. There were many who asked for him to apologize, but I didn't see where they called for another apology. You may well be correct. Who were these many Republicans? Source, please.

So, Beavah, are you calling him a liar? An elected US Representative? Gee, that's not very civil.

@Brent - "I fail to see where Wilson's behavior is either accepted or encouraged."

Really? I have a short memory, but not that short. Didn't you post this, "Source: Wilson breaks $1 million"? Sounds like someone accepts and encourages his behavior. That was money he never would have received had he not blurted out "you lie" during a Presidential address.

Since this is a scouting forum I am surprised that no one has mentioned that Rep. Wilson is a member of the Executive Council of the Indian Waters Council of the BSA. Not exactly scouting behavior. A friend told me that all his sons are Eagles.

He is also a former Army reserve officer and is a Colonel in the SC National Guard. A fine example of how an officer addresses the Commander in Chief.

On the other hand I doubt that any of his fellow members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans were the least bit bothered.

Hal

http://www.ourcampaigns.com/CandidateDetail.html?CandidateID=2083

From Yahoo New Article: "While both Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) initially downplayed the matter, Clyburn pushed for some sanction against Wilson. Clyburn confronted Wilson on the floor Thursday, and later said that he asked Wilson three times to go to the well of House and apologize, but Wilson refused.

House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio and other Republicans also privately asked Wilson to make an apology on the floor, but he wouldnt comply, according to GOP insiders."

I agree though, the Democrats would be better served letting this dog lie and being the bigger party. It seems though it's his fellow South Carolinian, Majority Whip Clyburn, making the most noise though.

Otherwise they look just as petty and it's the ongoing DC circus and Representatives wonder why their treated like dirt when they go back to their districts.

Just as an analogy, how should a scout be disciplined if during a meeting with all scouts and parents, the SM is explaining an issue of a proposed change in troop policy that not all the scouts like, and a Patrol Leader, yells out "liar" while the SM is speaking?

SA

(This message has been edited by scoutingagain)

SR540Beaver,

I would disagree. Are those donating to his campaign doing so because they agree with his behavior, or because they don't think he should lose his seat because of it? Two separate issues. I personally do not condone the behavior, and I don't think he should resign or lose his seat because of it.

You got a link on that, SA? All I can find is Boehner quoted as follows:

"Boehner said only Wilson can say whether he'll apologize to the chamber. "You'll have to talk to him," the GOP leader said."

Though I usually avoid posting to the "politics" forum, I feel compelled.

Was his behavior wrong? Yes.

Have others from both parties also been rude? Yes.

Does that excuse him? No.

Should he apologize again? That's between him and his conscious.

Now, to the matter matoviated me to write: Why all the references to to the South, southerners, etc? I find that offensive. I wasn't aware that regional prejudice was still so strong in America - you know, the UNITED States of America. I don't believe his actions are based on the confederacy.

So, to recap: He was wrong. As a conservative, bible-believin', white male from the South - I am outraged.

ntrog8r,

Did you not know that it is perfectly acceptable for the left to sneer and denigrate those who do not fall into line? All of us from the south are inferior to them. I have been told in a threatening manner at an academic meeting that no one with a southern accent or who says y'all (which is more inclusive than you guys) has anything of value to say. The left inflicts the prejudice that they accuse southerners of practicing. Interesting that even though northern cities were just as segregated as the south (though not codified as the south), there was no busing after Boston. Somehow, it was bad that Bostonians were angry and violent about their children being bussed but those were not considerations for the south. So just get used to our inferior status. We lost the war and will continue to be punished.

vol:

Perhaps the problem lies with your statement. "We lost the war". Somehow I often get the impression that still IS the issue with too many. "We won; they lost". That was over a hundred years ago; maybe it is time to try to put it aside?

As a born Yankee who has been south of the Mason-Dixon line quite often, I am usually told something along the lines of "It Ain't over yet, Yankee boy", "Lee may have surrendered I didnt" or the SOuth shall rise again

So, does this mean you guys are ready to concede? If so I am shocked!(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)