Courtesy and Civility

Lisa, if you are speaking to me, I never said his behaviour was acceptable. I must admit I was thinking the same thing when he said it. I just don't think he should resign for it. Many members of congress have done far worse, and still hold office.

The problem is who makes up the group to begin with. Many are corrupt. We have too many politicians, and not enough statesmen. Until we get more statesmen, I don't hold out much hope for improvement in their behaviour - in the capital or out. Hence, my previous post about treating them like rock stars and celebrities.

I had the distinction of having Cynthia McKinney being my representative for a number of years. I know all about being embarrassed by your representative.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gern,

What makes you think that I don't? I have a very broad range of boys and families in our Troop. Some are very conservative, some are very liberal. We all get along great.

No, I had other reasons in mind. We run a pretty demanding program. I'm also pretty selective with my ASMs. Would you let your son be in a Troop where you couldn't be an ASM?

Brent, Gern, knock it off.

Brent, I wasn't directing my comments specifically to you, or to any one individual. To the extent that I used the word "you" in my previous post, it was primarily because I didn't feel like writing in the more formal style with which the pronoun "one" is associated.

On the other hand, I become impatient with people who cannot separate their politics from their scouting, when it comes to how they treat the boys and the boys' families. And I really do worry that as a country, we are teaching the next generation that there is no honor in rational discussion of disputes; only shouting, name calling, and disdain will do. That's a terrible lesson that will rip the country apart.

Lisa, what I worry about is people to take their political and religious views and think that scouting is yet another avenue to indoctrinate the youth to those views. Its an abuse that cannot be allowed to continue without challenge.

How many times have we heard that scouting is a Christian movement? How many times have we heard its a conservative movement?

If we don't resist this, it will become it.

The discussion here sort of says something about courtesy and civility doesn't it?

I agree with Beavah and others who say we should respect the office of president without regard to the person. I also agree with Brent and others who point out the Democrats were very impolite to George W. Bush (and still are).

But as I've said before, you have to look beyond the left/right part of the equation. There is no now, nor has there been in my lifetime any true civility among politicians. Oh, there are a few rare ones who stay out of the gutter, but most are just a bunch of big egos who did not get where they are by being nice guys.

I just wish I could keep myself from reading these discussions, but I must need psychiatric help or a 12 step group, because I can't. Sigh.

Speaking of congressmen beating each other with sticks, it was a South Carolina Representative - Preston Brooks, that beat a Massachussets Senator, Charles Sumner, with a cane on the floor of the Senate chambers, while guarded by another SC Rep - Laurence Keitt who kept people trying to help Sumner at bay with a pistol.

Sumner was a Republican at the time (and would be a Democrat today). Brooks and Keitt were Democrats, and would be Republicans today.

Though he resigned his seat, the people of South Carolina treated Brooks as a hero.

Why am I not surprised that it would be a Representative from South Carolina that would once again sully the chambers of Congress with such boorish behavior?

Let's not forget that Mr. Obama has been calling those who oppose his health plan "liars" for some time. Indeed he did so in his speech, just before being called one himself. Oh yes, he is politically correct enough to instead refer to those who "misrepresent" his program. And he did indeed specifically refer to some of those folks being present in the chambers. If it walks like a duck... well you know what he meant.

How does Mr. Obama know whether his opponents are purposefully being deceitful- telling a lie, or merely expressing what they believe to be facts? He does not. But for political value, calling them liars is more powerful.

The speech Mr. Obama gave that night was not about the business of our country. His speech was all about "I'm the President. Don't you forget it, and you better get in line." Pure politics, nothing more, nothing less. In return, he got what he deserved. Anyone who thinks our federal government has operated with anything more than an appearance of civility for the past 40 years is sadly mistaken.

We are The People. We have elected these officials and allowed this kind of behavior. It is our fault for not setting higher expectations. Republicans and Democrats both are only giving us what we have asked for. Why are we now surprised when something like this happens? Either get off your butt and do something about it or shut up, sit down and be a sheep.

Ken

"We are The People. We have elected these officials and allowed this kind of behavior. It is our fault for not setting higher expectations. Republicans and Democrats both are only giving us what we have asked for. Why are we now surprised when something like this happens? Either get off your butt and do something about it or shut up, sit down and be a sheep. "

That's a point I can agree with, Ken. But what makes you assume that at least some of us are *not* attempting to "do something about it?"

Some people are trying to do something about it. But some of these guys are so firmly entrenched that they won't leave until they die. Ted Kennedy, Strom Thurmond as examples. They no longer listen to their constituents, but feel they are above the people. Sheeple just keep voting the party line and keep voting for them. Opposing party doesn't waste money fighting these political machines, thus enabling them to get more powerful. Term limits are a good thing!

Question Lisa...how many times have you voted for Carl Levin?

Ken