So.... the Right says staying in school is bad?

Here are my thoughts:

In general, Beavah's message resonates with me.

Lisa pulling her boy to see John McCain in person resonates with me.

Doing the "big screen" TV gig does not resonate with me. If the President wants to visit high schools wherever he goes (and I think he should visit HSs, middle schools, and grade schools ... isn't that why all of us serve Scouting ... to raise future generations???), that's perfectly OK by me. Can you imagine an America where the President is not someone on an ivory tower in the Beltway, but is "the President shook my hand?"

Another episode of TV Land? Anyone care to bet how many kids will be testing their eyeballs for light leaks?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this guy's ideas.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/fdemartini/2009/09/06/why-can%e2%80%99t-conservative-sign-onto-the-democrat%e2%80%99s-plan/

To summarize, get rid of the public option, regulate the insurance industry to promote competition & drive down prices, exclude public funding for abortion, exclude public funding for illegal immigrants (other than emergency care), make it revenue neutral, provide more tax benefits for companies that offer insurance plans & individuals, and work on tort reform. He says it much better than me.

I am having trouble anything about Gov. Purdue's current position on illegal immigrants in in community colleges. Apparently they are currently barred but there are exceptions accounting for 111 such students out of 800,000. I can see how that would cause a real drain on the budget. The community college board will vote this month whether to change that policy (again) to admit them.

The UNC system does not have this restriction and they enrolled 30 illegals out of 215,000. In both cases the students pay out of state tuition. At the community colleges this is $7000 per year. The education budget in NC would probably be in much better shape if they could just get more of those illegals into their schools.

Across the board illegal immigrants account for

In my school system, "lunch" begins around 1020 and is for 20 minutes. The rest of the day is spent on instruction.

Easy solution! You rearrange the day & make lunch during the broadcast!

My objection is the effectiveness of the message..."take personal responsibility and stay in school"...if they don't already know that then having BHO say it isn't going to matter.

I would agree with that statement but what harm will it actually do to allow your kid to watch this broadcast?

I think this whole discussion misses the main point that jumps out for me. I don't see this as a right/left thing at all, although I certainly concede that most if not all the conservative talk show guys are cheerleading against it.

What strikes me is the indication that there is growing number of people in the U.S. who do not trust this administration or the congressional leadership.

In spite of the Bush Derangement Syndrome that grew up about Geoge W., at this point in his administration, I don't believe this would have raised an eyebrow except with the moveon.org/George Soros people. The fact that so many people I know and talk with online who I regard as fairly sympathetic to and probably voted for Obama have questions about this tells me there is real concern in the country.

Personally, I would have no problem with my kids (which I don't have) going to school tomorrow and hearing the talk. I think I would chat with them later about what they took from it. My guess, with any president, would be: not much.

"I confess that I am not reconciled to the idea of a chief magistrate parading himself through the several States, as an object of public gaze, and in quest of an applause which, to be valuable, should be purely voluntary. I had rather acquire silent good-will by a faithful discharge of my duties, than owe expressions of it to my putting myself in the way of receiving them." --Thomas Jefferson

I read his remarks... His message is dead on and as a fellow Dad of children also in school he has creditability. I challenge anyone to take a remark and twist it to anything then genuine concern for the fellow American peers of his two daughters.

Hal,

yes they are paying "out of state" tutition," but #1 they are still taking seats from law abiding citizens and #2 NC heavily subsidizes education, so even it they are paying more than legal residents of NC,part of their education is subsidized by the taxpayers.

Headlines and opinions about President's speech at school:

"The White House is turning a junior high classroom into a television studio and its students into props,"

"The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertising for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students,"

"And the president should be doing more about education than saying, 'Lights, camera, action.'"

"As the chairman of the committee charged with the authorization and implementation of education programs, I am very much interested in the justification, rationale for giving the White House scarce education funds to produce a media event."